what size

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Sep 1, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    what size string do i use for drop c thats drop d down a step.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Depends on how you'd want it to feel - looser or tighter. A regular B string is around .130, either that or you might be fine with a somewhat smaller gauge if you think that's too much.
  3. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i want them tight.but not so tight.some ones said use a really like 5 string set but drop the g string would this work..

i want them to sound deep but good for slapping
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    yeah it would use a light 5 string set, but only if thats the gauges you want. I would suggest a 125 string for your C. That should give you the perfect feel since a C is a half step above a B and 130 is .005 more than 125 so its just right. 130 makes for a nice tight (but not too tight) B string. Perfect for picking and heavy attack. Get a 125 for your low C. And for the rest of the strings, just add 10 to the gauge number you are currently using, since they will be 1 step detuned. Heres an example of what gauges you would use if you used 45-105 strings:

notice that the difference between the low C and the G is greater than the difference on the other strings. This is because you are in drop D one step down or "drop C." Your C string will be an extra step lower compared to the other strings, so youll need the extra thickness.