1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what size

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Sep 1, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    what size string do i use for drop c thats drop d down a step.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Depends on how you'd want it to feel - looser or tighter. A regular B string is around .130, either that or you might be fine with a somewhat smaller gauge if you think that's too much.

3. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i want them tight.but not so tight.some ones said use a really like 5 string set but drop the g string would this work..

i want them to sound deep but good for slapping

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    yeah it would use a light 5 string set, but only if thats the gauges you want. I would suggest a 125 string for your C. That should give you the perfect feel since a C is a half step above a B and 130 is .005 more than 125 so its just right. 130 makes for a nice tight (but not too tight) B string. Perfect for picking and heavy attack. Get a 125 for your low C. And for the rest of the strings, just add 10 to the gauge number you are currently using, since they will be 1 step detuned. Heres an example of what gauges you would use if you used 45-105 strings:

notice that the difference between the low C and the G is greater than the difference on the other strings. This is because you are in drop D one step down or "drop C." Your C string will be an extra step lower compared to the other strings, so youll need the extra thickness.