1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What slap technique is this guy using at 1:06-1:08?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rob_the_bassist, Mar 12, 2008.

1. how does he do this? its like a triplet slap. they're awesome filler grace notes but i don't know how to do it. any ideas?

2. er wrong forum sorry

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Looks like Victor Wooten's slap technique. You can probably look that up on youtube and find a lesson.

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    That's called the slappity-dappity-dappity-dap technique. Very cool.

No, seriously, it looks like he does thump, then hits the string with the nails of the index and middle fingers, flamenco o "rasgueado" style.

http://www.learnclassicalguitar.com/flamenco.html

Nice playing and tone.

5. thank you.

unfortunately i feel that once i get this technique down i'm gonna be throwing it into everything i play..unwillingly. even those soft jazz ballads :scowl:

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Love that video, one of my favorites. Great tone and feel.

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Ooops, you replied before my edit. Upon closer examination, I don't think that particular passage does index and middle finger pulls, rather a a downward raking motion.

8. are the index/middle finger pull suppose to occur on the same string? or like index on D and middle on G? is it a simultaneous pull or like a one/then the other snap

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Man, sorry, don't believe me. The stuff's so fast it's hard to tell if he's double-thumping or not, but it seems like it at times - it seems like a combination of all those techniques.

Check out this guy: