1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What solution for live backing tracks?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by AnTz0r, Feb 21, 2008.

1. My band is finishing up recording our first album. We've got some extra stuff on the album to juice it up (lots of keys, lots of extra vocal parts, some violin) and we want to play these parts live from these recordings.

We were thinking of getting a hard disk recorder, anyone with good ideas? Right now we're looking at getting a Fostex D-180 or D-108, we can't really seem to figure out the difference.

We will be needing 8 tracks at least, 16 would be better. We need analogue outputs per track. We prefer some rackmount device. Any ideas, hints, tips, caveats?

2. Why exactly do you need each track individually? If you mix them to stereo it should work just as well, no?

3. well then the sound mixer can't adjust anything can he?

4. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I haven't done this live yet, but I've been thinking about a good way to do it for awhile. The problem with using any kind of pre-recorded parts live, is that you have to sync up the hardlocked tempos of your recorded parts with your live band. To do this really well is going to require some extra gear. You need some way to have a click track going to in-ear monitors for the drummer so they can keep the tempo synced up. You also will probably need some way to trigger playback of the parts, unless all your songs are of a set length with set repetitions of everything (ie no open ended solo sections or intros, no cued breaks, etc). The drummer could trigger samples with midi pads, or you could do it with a midi keyboard, or maybe a midi pedal?

As far as the playback system, probably a laptop (with proper firewire), the sequencer of your choice (Cubase, Logic, Ableton, whatever) and take your pick of the 8 in/out rackmount interfaces out there. Most of them can be daisy chained with a 2nd unit to get 16 analog outs, but more likely you're going to want to just mix your tracks down to a stereo track for live.

Those are my thoughts about it anyway..

5. well, our drummer already plays with a clicktrack using a set of quality headphones. he doesnt mind the looks live, he's a short guy and buried behind his kit anyway, haha!

we don't need samples, we just load a clicktrack as a track on the multitracker, so he will know: 4 clicks and then the song start.

we've got all that figured out, all we need is someting to play it back.

6. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Sounds good, do you want the 8-16 individual outs because you plan on running all those to the club mixing board? A lot of smaller places may not be able to handle all that. Are you aiming at the D108 for a reason? That's a pretty old unit. I'm not really a big fan of the standalone recorders but the Korg D888 looks appealing and has 8 XLR in/outs.