Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what some are good passive pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gsummer, Mar 16, 2001.

1. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Admittedly, I know very little about pickups. I am thinking about designing a custom bass and I need to know what pickups I want to use. What are some good passive brands and models? I want a warm, fat sound, that is also punchy and good for slapping as well as fingerstyle (is that asking too much?) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Galen

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    This is going to sound a little weird, but why are you designing a custom bass when you don't know a lot about pickups?
    As far as pickups I'd recommend, I can tell you that I really like the Bartolini 8S P-bass replacement. Pretty much the sound you describe. You might start by telling us what basses you've played/owned/dinked with/etc. have caught your ear. There are some general characteristics that might lead to some good info. There are differing sounds to be heard from: P-bass, Jazz, Gibson Humbucker, MM, G&L, Ric, lipstick (ala Dano) pickups. What sound catches your fancy? Then maybe someone will be able to lead you to a specific type.

3. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Ok, thanks for the help. The bass I play is a Fender with a PJ configuration. I like the Fender Jazz sound. Something in that neighborhood would be good. I also like the sound of a P pickup, but I don't want just a P because I want to be able to have alittle more definition. I am looking for a pickup that will sound good for Blues/Rock (classic not hard), Funk, jazz, and R&B type stuff. I also do some slapping, but I prefer a Larry Graham sound to a Marcus sound. As far as desinging a custom bass, I am thinking of getting a Dave Pushic and since his prices are reasonable it is something I feel I can do even though I don't have lots of experience. Thanks for the concern though. You mention humbuckers, what is the difference in the sound? Like I said before, I want a nice bass fundamental. I don't need alot of high end, just enough so it isn't muddy. I also like a punchy bridge sound. Anyway, hope this makes it clearer.

4. I'm pretty happy with the Lindy Fralin jazz pickups that came in my Lull Vintage 4. They have a great vintage sound and they are pretty quiet. As a matter of fact, I was playing along with Graham Central Station's 'Jam' last night and I was able to pretty much nail Larry's tone. I had a set of Dimarzio Ultra-jazz pickups in a MIJ Fender 75 Jazz RI which were okay but they didn't knock me out so I put the stockers back in it. Lots of people love the Ultra Jazzes, they just weren't my cup of tea. It may have been the bass though. I couldn't get the tone out of it that I wanted so I sold it.

5. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    You could also talk to Larry Pollock at <a href="http://www.aeroinstrument.com/pickups.html">AERO Instrument</a>. AEROs have a great vintage sound, and took the "Top Tone" award in BP Mag's '99 <a href="http://www.bassplayer.com/z1999/9903/pickups.shtml">J-bass Pickup Shootout</a>. A few other custom builders use them, including Fodera and Pushic. Larry is super helpful, and can make whatever you need, although you will probably have to wait a few weeks. It's worth it though, especially if you're looking to build something that doesn't have the standard Fender string spacing most replacement pickups are designed around. And they sound great.