What song are you learning right now?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by invisiman, Oct 24, 2004.

1. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    If you play more than one instrument, let us know what song you're laerning on those ones too :bassist: (NOTE:This thread is not intended for bragging purposes, if you don't belive someone one is working on what song they say they are, that's just to bad :spit: )

Currently, I'm just finishing up Jaco's Portrait Of Tracy, and starting on Rush's YYZ(damn that song is hard!! :bawl: )

On guitar, I've just been noodeling around, working on a variety of Megadeth songs.
  2. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    bass: working through the sublime catalog, "ebin" is on the front burner right now.

guitar: cake "jesus wrote a blank"
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I only learn a few riffs here and there on both instruments. I'm working on writing a song, since I'm a pretty bad guitarist... well, pretty bad with the music I want to play. Plus I'm trying to aquire some skills on the keys. I've recorded a few keyboardy tunes, but nothing too complex. The song I'm writing now is... Math Funk? Is that a genre :p Funk rock except it switches time signatures a few times. I'm getting pretty good at that, I often write odd time stuff and don't even know it.

My most recent that I can think of:

Guitar: Queens of The Stoneage - Better Living Through Chemistry
    Bass: Eh, something Primus no doubt - Kalamazoo or To Defy The Laws of Tradition... it's been a while.
  4. Stuck in the middle with you and Stairway to heaven
  5. Waiting Room by Fugazi...not a hard song, but I keep messing it up :p I think I got it down now though.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cool bassline Tyler, great bassist... isn't his name Joe Lally or something like that.
  7. right now i am not really working on a song, i am trying to get my double-thumbing a little faster.
    i also am still playing with my new RC-20, trying to work out soloing over basslines that i make, like steve lawson (i'm not quite to that caliber yet!)

8. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    On bass I've been trying to give my plucking hand a workout and get my fretting hand coardinated so I've been learning Shadows Fall's newest album "The War Within."

On guitar I've been playing around learning 'Harvest' by Opeth.
  9. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Don't laugh - a chart of "Winter Wonderland" that's latin with a swing B section.
  10. I learned it :) I win.
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a bunch of bto tunes.
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Bass - The fills from Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads, Original, Odd-time signature, genre-crossing music. Dig the Groovey Metal with a latin feel in 7/4. Or ambient, two handed tapping with a Tech metal bent in 7/8

Git - One, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Bron-Yr-Aur;

Keys - Working through my Beatles notation book

Drums - Bugging the hell out of the guys at a local shop by playing every week through their 1600 dollar Vdrum Kit.

Harmonica - Original, horrible sounding blues with zero soul.
  13. proof of my learning...the main riff from Waiting Room (rest is like root notes)

Note: I am not responsible for any crying due to how horrible the playing is ;)
  14. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I don't blame you :p
  15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

HEHEHE....i worked at learning that song too....it is simple, just so simple you can screw it up easy.....lack of concentration on my part.....

17. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Recently took a new gig with a semi-established band, (the core has been together for a while, but there are various new members)... We have a small show 11/6 and the tunes that I need the most work on;

Diggin' On James Brown - Tower Of Power
    Watch Your Step - Cold Blood
    Going Back To Miami - Blues Brothers

I really have to get the whole show down better, but these are needing the most work... Then, there's the other 80 or so tunes to run through :)

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Hey, in my defense, before I started doing that I couldn't keep ONE beat for more than a few bars. :D

Now after about a month I have got the simple "4 on the floor" beat with fills down.

Basically I want to have the basics mastered before I drop the money on the Vdrum Kit; which has been price reduced because of the wear that I put on it learning. :D
  19. teen town, the mystical potatoe head groove thing, whats going on, if you're scared stay home, the hammer..

and im still figureing out classical gas and stairway to heaven guitar parts, tapping wise....but im also trying to figure out some erykah badu, outkast and meshell ndegeochello to put up on here
  20. Haha, I hear ya man. I did the same thing for like 10 minutes, lol.