Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What song can you NOT play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pharcyde, Jun 28, 2001.

1. What is the one song, if any, that you just can't seem to be able to play.

2. Hehe, theres too many to list!!

There are some songs which should be very basic and easy, but for some reason or another you cant get them to sound right. These are much more infuriating then the complicated songs!
    One such song that has always annoyed me is Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick In The Wall pt2'. It is a very easy bassline, and I have it sounding perfect, except for one note that will not co-operate!! According to all sources, the eighth note of the main riff is the 3rd fret of the 'a' string. ie, the main riff is the following:

------------------------
    ------------------------
    ---3-5--5-5-0-0--3-
    -0---------------------

That last note isnt right, and no matter what I play it will not sound right! That single note has been the thorn in my side since I bought my first bass. Anybody help me with this song?
    Jim

3. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    The tab is wrong. There are only seven notes to the riff. It has an extra A, but other than that, it's right.

------------------------
    ------------------------
    --------3-5-------5------5-0---3--------
    -0----------------------------------0----
    -1-&-2-&-3-&-4-&-1-&-2-&-3-&-4-&-1----

Did you detune your E string down to D? If you didn't, it's gonna sound wrong. The tune is in D minor (relative F major, 1 flat, Bb), the guitar changes on this part are Dm and Am. Both chords share the C, with it being the b7 of Dm and the b3 of Am. If you ignore the guitar changes underneath, it's just a Dm 1-5-b7-1 arpeggio.

You owe me $8. ;)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There was a long thread about the 16th note "tag" on Weather Report's "Havona" - even Jaco seems to be struggling to play this consistently on the recording and never attempted it live! :rolleyes:

But Christian McBride plays it perfectly on his last album and on Double Bass! :eek:

5. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    the one song that i cannot play would be Whiplash by Metallica, it's so f'n fast i can't bloody play it so i gave up and moved onto the subtle Seek & Destroy.

6. Orgy - chasing sirens..

kewl song, but i cannot detect what tuning & notes the dude plays :(

7. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    "Panther" by Marcus Miller .. that f*cken bass solo always gets me. all that rhythmic variation, man .. phwoar ! miller rules ! :)

8. Most of them.

9. detroit, by rancid. i can manage some of the parts, but the descending 16th note run across all 4 strings for the chorus is just impossible to play up to speed. i think the only way i'll ever nail that is by getting real good with a pick, because my fingerstyle ain't cutting it.

10. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada

I love Whiplsah!!!!!!! I seemed to have a little trouble with "Right On Time" by the Chilli Peppers, But I seem to be able to play it pretty good now.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't it easier to use a 5-string and play the D on the B string - makes more sense as a typical "pattern" then!

12. Ugh, so many....

Higher by Creed, and most of Metallica's thrash metal stuff (from Kill 'Em All to ...And Justice for All).

13. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    You betcha. Unfortunately, there weren't many fives around in 1979. But now that guitars are getting seven strings, maybe we'll lose that drop D crap entirely. :)

And Dave...

Love your playing.

Hate your politics.

:)

14. Sorry dude, my playing and my politics are inextricably linked. I don't play conservative bass.. know what I mean? ;)

15. Classical Thump, that song is impossible. Vic wooten is too good, it gets me depressed when I hear him play.

16. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Teen Town is something I really haven't been able to play. I had a lot of trouble with Opus Pocus(the steel drum/bass unison line), but now I can sort of play it.

17. Skywalker22

Skywalker22 Guest

I can't play Chromatic Fantasy. I got some of it but I can't play it. It's fast and nuts. If you can, you got my respect.

18. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    That one should be easy...it's all chromatic, right? :D

19. Tommy the Cat. No matter what I do, it doesn't sound right. Or even remotely right.

20. Skywalker22

Skywalker22 Guest

not it's not all chromatic. It is in melodic minor I believe. Go check it out in the tabs. Jaco Pastorius-Chromatic Fantasy.