Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what song is this? (identify from this mp3)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Mar 4, 2003.

1. it's an instrumental easy listening-type track I originally heard on the demonstration cassette of my parents 70's Sanyo music centre.
    I never found out who it was by- I found the melody a bit haunting....
    anyway, I recorded a rough 4track clip of it on bass (including cheap & nasty drum machine:p )

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Nice job...& yet I don't know who/what it is.
    Sorry.

Just wanted to add that my parents also had a '70s Sanyo portable cassette player("centre"?); the demo tape had easy listening/instrumental versions of "Walk Don't Run", "Hanky Panky", "Everyday People" & 1 other that I can't remember.

3. I want to say "Why..why...why... Delilah?" (Tom Jones) but that's probably not it.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I can see the similarity - but that song would have to have the requisite dominant 7th on the root ("She was my woman..."), and the move to the major for the chorus :)

5. I've dug out the original tape, and the melody is played on mellow jazz guitar, and after the section I recorded there's a key change with piano providing melody, and the guitar soloing.
    much like the song at the beginning of the film The Italian job, only without vocals.

the demonstration tape has on it after a rendition of a Glenn Miller big band recording.
    re. the 70's Music Centre, it was a combination unit comprising a record player, cassette deck (with a violent eject mechanism) and FM/AM/LW radio.
    a bit like the hifi's Bang & Olufsen make today, only much bigger and heavier, with fake wood veneer on the casing, and a smoked transparent plastic lid.
    an essential piece for the front room of many a UK home in the 70's.:)