Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Song or Which artist has stirred the most emotions in you?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Well the title explains it all

For me...
    1. SRV - Life By The Drop
    2. SRV - Little Wing
    and basically most versions of, Fly Me To The Moon Esp. Frank Sinatra Live, Diana Krall Live...the techno versions are just stupid :p

2. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Deep Purple's "Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming". I will never become tired of this song.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    whipping post
    man's world
    she's so heavy, or any other Beatles song
    planet caravan
    american life
    aenima
    buena, (Morphine rules)

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Just about anything by stevie wonder. That's a given.

Other than that though, it's hard to say, Radiohead has had some potent moments for me, so has a lot of hip hop and parliament style funk and any other music that is so based around feeling. Then on another level Boards of Canada and µ-ziq never cease to amaze. Honestly, I've been very touched by some songs from anime, notably Cowboy Bebop, Princess mononoke and Trigun. All three soundtracks have some very special songs that really invoke a lot of powerful imagery.

Squarepusher has a song, "iambic5 poetry", That song gets me every time. So powerful.

I'm listening to Q-tip right now, and it's like...perfect for the moment. Just chilling in the apartment, it's bright outside, and it's a comfortable temperature. I'm in a bean bag chair, and the apartment is clean. everything is very chill and this music is pretty spot on for how I'm feeling.

5. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    IN Rock, Would be Allen Woody w/Gov't Mule, in Jazz Oteil Burbridge & The Peacemakers! And my teacher Scott Pazera, take a listen www.scottpazera.com!

Take care
    TM

6. total eclipse of the heart, by bonnie tyler.

one of my friends burnt a cd for my birthday and that song was on it, i could listen to it for hours and still cry.

7. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Ditto, WR...

Sigur Ros - Svefn G Englar: Most Sigur Ros is fantastic, but the first notes Jonsi hits on his guitar are magical. It sounds like God having a nervous breakdown.
    Mogwai - Fear Satan: Mogwai is probably the only band I know that can play three notes for fifteen and have your hair standing up all over your body the entire time.
    Most of the Macross Plus soundtrack. Yoko Kanno is amazing.
    Tool - Third Eye (The Salival version): The first line Maynard sings chokes me up for some reason. I still can't figure out why.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Parallel Universe: During the outro, right after the scream, the bass, guitar and phaser sound so dissonant it makes me break out into goose bumps. I used to skip that song when I listened to the CD, until I heard it all the way through. Probably my favorite Chilis song now. Or maybe Soul to Squeeze. That song is so heartfelt; fantastic.
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - Life Without You: During the outro solo right before the fade out, he hits three bends in rapid succession, and the third one sounds like he hurts himself doing it. I love that song.
    A couple of Yeah Yeah Yeahs songs: Karen O's voice seems way more heartfelt than most of the music they share airwave space with lately, and the guitarist has the most unique tone I've heard since... maybe ever. And I wish my drummer played more like theirs. Great band.
    Portishead - Roads (Live in NYC version) The audience clapping along to this reminds me of waves breaking, and that song is simply amazing. The live version is exponentially more powerful than the album version.

I could go on, but I won't.

I guess I have a thing for little moments in songs, things that almost sound bad, if taken out of context. A song my band recorded a while back has an e-bow part in a break down section, and I think my guitarist overdubbed it once or twice. As a result, a split second before the actual melody starts, theres this messy little pool of noise that has become my favorite part of that track. My guitarist hated it, and wanted to rerecord the section, but I told him not to, it gave the whole section a feel that it otherwise might not have had.

8. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Give a listen to Eva Cassidy, the most beautiful singer I've ever heard. Soul.

9. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Jimi Hendrix: Machine Gun, off of the Band of Gypsies album. If you've heard it and you still need to ask why, we're on different wavelengths.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Soul to Squeeze - what NioeZero said.

Cat Power: Metal Heart - melancholy beauty again. Chan Marshall's voice sounds amazing on this one.

Iggy & The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog. Or 1970, Funhouse, LA Blues. Or Search And Destroy. Or Open Up & Bleed. Dog is probably my favourite song beginning ever, and I love the descent into insanity which is the second side of Fun House.

Autechre - Clipper; a few minutes in, there's this wonderfully fluid synth bass part which swoops and twirls and generally does things you can't do with normal instruments.

Big Black: Kerosene - great fuzz bass groove and guitars that sound like nothing else.

Uh- those all stir different emotions in me.

Oh yeah - and when Whitney Houston goes up a key in I Will Always Love You, revulsion is the emotion that's stirring :D

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Al Jarreu's "We Got By"
    Funkadelic "Cosmic Slop"
    Funkadelic "No Head, No Backstage Pass"
    Jimi Hendrix "Little Wing"
    Jimi Hendrix "Voodoo Child"

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    LED ZEPPELIN :D :bassist:

12. Everything Opeth....Gonna get the DVD tonight!

13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    The DVD is amazing! They are excellent live. :)

And to name one song...
    Lenny by Stevie Ray Vaughan

14. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Santana---Blues for Salvador...that is spiritual.

15. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    Billie Holiday

16. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Radiohead-Fake Plastic Trees
    Dave Matthews-Satellite
    Nearly all Sigur Ros
    Marcus Miller-Mr.Pastorius

17. Yeah, I saw them about a month ago in Detroit, a couple days before it was released here. The best band I've ever seen. Met all my expectations.

18. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Well being emotionally dead inside like I am, it's rare to find anything that makes you want to cry. Ben Folds as a song writer has been doing it for me ever since "Whatever and Ever, Amen." With songs like "Last Polka", "Smoke", "Evaporate" and "Don't Change Your Plans" that he did while still with BFF, I had never been touched on such a deep emotional level and I still haven't been to this day.

Then as he went solo, I have one song I think I need to mention, "The Luckiest". The most oddly beautiful, and under-rated, love song of all time.

19. Anything by Dashboard Confessional or Further Seems Forever...but especially Against My Better Judgement by FSF.