Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What song with cool bass solo to cover?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nanne, May 1, 2005.

1. Nanne

Nanne

Feb 28, 2005
    Netherlands
    Hiho all,

I'm in some kind of schoolband that plays a few covers every year. Now I'm thinking of purposing a song to cover with a cool bass solo in it, but I don't know many songs with cool bass solo's, so I thought I'd ask here. So far the coolest bass solo I found is the one in Coffee Shop from the RHCP. Does anyone know something I should listen to before going for that song?

Thanks,
    Nanne

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Well, if you like the Chili Peppers you could go for 'Aeroplane'. It has some great slap parts, and a solo. Give it a listen.

Graeme

3. Nanne

Nanne

Feb 28, 2005
    Netherlands
    Hmm, I listend to it, but I think Coffee Shop is better. It has more punk in it, which I like. Anyway, thanks for the tip; Aeroplane is a cool song, but I like Coffee Shop better.

Nanne

4. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    The Who - My Generation

This song has several short, tasty but very cool fills in it, and has the bass almost soloing above the noise and frenzy of the end. Might be worth trying =)

5. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" - Lenny Kravitz - a fun and long bass solo in the middle.

"Brian Wilson" - Barenaked Ladies - fun and challenging bass solo covers the last minute of the song.

6. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    "Shuba-da-du Ma-ma" - Steve Miller Band

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, something from waaaaaay out in left field!

If you like fast up-tempo kinda stuff check out Anthrax's Got the Time. No, its not a thrash metal tune, its more punk. Its easy to play with a bass intro and the bass solo in it kicks arse! IMO ofcourse! :smug:

8. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    The solo from Coffee Shop is freakin sweet. Heck, both of them are (the one with the slap/wah and the fast fingerstyle one). If you can play em, I'd say go for it... it's a sick solo!

9. Just for your information, this was originally a Joe Jackson song. Never heard Jackson's version, though.

10. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    "Steal my kisses"
    Ben Harper

Live and last Juan Nelson
    :p

11. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

Sabbath - NIB
    Metallica - Orion
    Led Zepplin - Good Times Bad Times, How Many More Times, D'yr Maker(or whatever it is called)
    Weezer - Only In Dreams
    System - Suite Pee (I highly reccomend this if it is for school, you can fill all the naughty words in with something funny like, "I want to FROLIC my way to the garden because everbody, needs, a mother, LOVER!)

12. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    It's dang near impossible to play with your fingers but if you can or do play with a pick, try Rancid's Maxwell Murder. It's a short song (like 1:30) but it has one of the sickest bass solos I've ever heard!

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - "My Bag"
    The Housemartins - "We're not deep"

Cool songs (IMO) with bass solos a beginner can actually play.

14. Nanne

Nanne

Feb 28, 2005
    Netherlands
    Wooah, that are alot of bass solo's. Before this thread I had heard only three bassguitar solo's and now I have alot of these on my computer :D thanks guys!

Now about the solo's: I like that Anthrax song, it's my style, though other styles are welcome too; I like alot of music :)

The one from Lenny Kravitz: did you happen to mean 'are you gonna go my way'? Because I can't really find a song called 'are you gonna be my girl' by him :p I do like the song though, but I think the bass solo is a bit boring...

That Shuba-da-du Ma-ma-song... I have some trouble finding it :p never heard of it either. What kind of song is it?

Same question for those last two: Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - "My Bag" and The Housemartins - "We're not deep": what kind kind of songs are they?

Still looking for those Led Zeppelin songs, but I'm quite sure I'll find them, I know someone who's a pretty big fan of them :)

EDIT: after listening a few times, I think coffee shop is still the best :p it's just a very good song

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Pop songs mostly. These are 80's pop/rock groups. Solid songs, not a lot of virtuosity.

Lloyd Cole's now a Solo artist and The Housemartins became The Beautiful South, while the bassist Norman Cook aka Fatboy Slim went on to found Beats International.

16. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    That's a great song, and a really cool solo. I really like Frank's tone, it cuts through the mix so well.

Graeme

17. Nanne

Nanne

Feb 28, 2005
    Netherlands
    Okay, sounds like they're fun to play too. I'll keep looking for them then.

Thanks for the quick response :)

18. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    +1. Ridiculous pick playing.

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Thats true but it was never played like this!

20. This reminds me of the punk days of early high school, but Mr. Armstrong still tickles me pink in Maxwell Murder by Rancid.