What song?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thursday, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    What song would you recommend from some of the greatest bass players in the world?
    Because to be honest, I never heard a Geddy song or a Claypool or Jaco song.

So, who would you recommend to this new player, a good musician to look up too?
  2. Hi
    I can't recommend any Jaco or Claypool because I am not familiar enough with their music, but Rush (Geddy) is a band I am totally into.
    I would recommend YYZ from Moving Pictures which is a instrumental and Big Money from Power Windows.
    Also you might want to check out Billy Sheehan especially the song Shy Boy from David Lee Roths Eat Em and Smile Disc and Steve Harris from Iron Maiden, songs like Aces High, Run to the Hills.
    Their are many great players, enjoy the music.
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you want cool 'bass music' that the novice has a chance of playing along to, try anything by: Elvis Costello and The Attractions.
  4. Pick up Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On." I have the Deluxe Edition and it is absolutely incredible. It has the original LP mix, the Motown Detroit mix, a whole live concert, and other singles. This is one of my favorite albums of all time and James Jamerson's playing is astoundingly good.
  5. A great bass line doesn't need to be 'technically prohibitively difficult' to be a great line. I love Noel Redding's runs in the Jimi Hendrix Experience's Hey Joe, as well as Paul McCartney's bass line in Lady Madonna. Heck, most of McCartney's lines.
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I suggest the Primus CD's Frizzle Fry and Sailing the Seas of Cheese.
  7. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I would recommend, as far as single songs go:
    Jaco Pastorius - Portrait of Tracy or Donna Lee
    Les Claypool (as in Primus) - Tommy the Cat
    Les Claypool (as in Oysterhead) - Mr. Oysterhead
    And one of the most impressive:
    Victor Wooten - Classical Thump
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    For Les Claypool,,, you really want to hear:
    Tommy the Cat
    Hamburger Train
    Shake Hands with Beef

For Geddy Lee, everyone's always so quick to say, YYZ... bleh... I'll suggest some OTHERs...
    Spirit of the Radio
    Distant Early Warning
    Freewill - the live version from Exit.. Stage Left
    In fact, I'd suggest you just buy the CD, Exit.. Stage Left