1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What songs do you always expect others to know how to play?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Julian G, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Julian G

Julian G

Mar 16, 2017
    Dubai
    5 of us, who don't really know each other, are going to get together soon for a jam session. So what are we gonna play?
    What are those songs that whenever you go for a jam session that the majority of people will know how to play. We're all amateurs at different levels of ability and I guess the age range of around 35 to 56 years will also impact on the answer.
    So what are the songs you always expect others to know when sitting in on a jam session?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The problem with jam songs is that they tend to be overplayed. Even the best song will become cliché and boring with enough approximative skill.
    With this age range and without thinking too hard, I'd go with Hey Joe, Smells like Teen Spirit, Basket Case, With or Without you, Knocking on Heaven's door.
    Absolute standards you know, if people don't know how to play them they will all least have heard the song and will easily be able to reproduce it with a bit of help.

Reg Braithwaite likes this.
  3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Why not each of you write down 3 that you know amd share between you. There's a pretty good chance of 2 or 3 overlapping then you can all do a little homework on a couple of the others.
    YMMV, of course, but at least you'll have something to kick things off...

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    It all depends on who the "others" are: Are these casual friends looking for a fun hang together, or working professionals looking to put together an ad hoc set list asap? Rockers, or jazzers? Educated/literate musos or auto-didacts? My answer would vary depending on those conditions (as well as probably others).

I will say this: Whenever *I* go to a "jam session" [sic], if nothing else has been specified or agreed upon in advance, I absolutely expect everyone who shows up to be able to A) Spontaneously create music from a blank slate, and B) Listen to one another.

Not necessarily in that order.

5. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    12 bar blues is the closest to foolproof.
    beyond that, bring charts.

12BitSlab and ArtechnikA like this.