1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What songs do you wish had a shorter, or "Single" Version?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Shovel, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Shovel

Shovel

Jun 4, 2013
    Massachusetts.
    I know it may be blasphemy to suggest that an artists work should be cut down or modified from what they intended, but there are some songs I just wish were shorter.
    My pick is "Had to Cry Today" from Blind Faith

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Usually I find myself wishing songs were longer. #prog

3. "Adorn" by Miguel. I wish that song were shortend to five beats: the count-off and the last chord.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    All of them.

5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Any song with like 4-5 sections of just verse-chorus. Not that they need single versions, but they really need more material and condensed lyrics. IMO, as ymmv.

6. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Old McDonald Had a Farm. It's like, "I get it, you're making the sounds of the farm animals". Even after the "and a moo-moo here", I'm like "Let's wrap it, like today already".

7. Or "99 Bottles of Beer On the Wall". Eternal damnation must consist of being stuck on a school bus listening to kids scream that song.

adi77 likes this.
  8. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Once you think it's over...

"Negative one bottles of beer on the wall..."

:mad: :banghead: :bawl:

9. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA

nukes_da_bass likes this.
  10. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Most early Porcupine Tree stuff could be shortened and lose some of the atmospheric space, I prefer longer songs, but they need to have material. I love stuff like Cygnus X-1 Book II because it's 18 minutes of music, with no lull in the action or "hurry it up, guys" moments. I wish Dream Theater would shorten up Illumination Theory and make it a concise 8-minute single, instead of 22 with a couple minutes of absolute silence and string sections that last too long. The riffs and faster parts are great, but cut out that mood crap, it doesn't fit the song at all.

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    How about the White Album? Would have made a heck of an EP.

Frank Tuesday likes this.
  12. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    'You Suffer' by Napalm Death goes on a bit too much for my liking.

13. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    bohemian rhapsody, free bird

14. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Howcould you cut up BR, unless you wanted to just leave it a ballad?

15. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    cut the ballad bit.. i don't know.. i'm only partly serious
    ...some other songs: november rain, anything by norah jones, american pie, layla, anything by celine dion.

16. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm glad I found someone that agrees with me. So much mediocrity on that album. There are some brilliant songs on there, but not a double album's worth. I'd say they could have done a single album, and had only a little filler. An EP might have cut too much.

17. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I could never get into that one. It always felt a little too derivative of S.O.D.'s work the year prior, particularly "Diamonds and Rust", "The Ballad of Jimi Hendrix" and "Anti-Procrastination Song".

Tituscrow likes this.
  18. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    We aren't the first to bring this up. At this point, they were about egos, and everyone wanted "their" tunes on there.

19. American frickin' Pie. Good song, too long.

Hate me now.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  20. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Exactly HOW many times did Journey think they needed to say Na na na na na na? Great song hampered by nearly 2 minutes of droning vocal fapping.