1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What songs should my band play?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Happy holidays everyone! After my high school Wind Ensemble (sort of like honors band) performed Russian Christmas Music, my band director handed out these unbelievably horribly sounding pieces that are perhaps meant for 8th grade bands...

Could someone suggest some songs that are similar to Russian Christmas Music? (But it doesn't have to be Christmas music)
    Please also include composer/arranger if possible. Thanks!

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You should definately play good songs.

3. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Poop, you crack me up!! :D

4. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    Back in the U.S.S.R. ?

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Ukrainian Hanukah songs?

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Opeth

7. Mmm... good songs... I think many students in the band would prefere symphonic-like songs (without the orchestra, of course). But they can't be extremely hard, because it's a high school band =)

8. What about that Kosaks song where in the chorus they sing "Moscow Moscow" dum da da da dum dum dum, dum da da da dum dum dum da da da da da "Oi!" .... :rolleyes:

Forget what its called though.

9. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    The Lord of the Rings by Johan De Meij is good, especially movements 1 and 5, not too bad for a high school group. Very orchestral and majestic sounding

There are also some Zappa band pieces floating around. Google munchkin music for info.

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Mustang Sally?

oops wrong thread....:bag:

11. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Slayer.

12. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    If it seems like the music is geared for 8th grade, perhaps it's for sight-reading practice. I know that a lot of students are getting prepared for solo-festival (all-county auditions) and sight-reading is a required part of the audition; in addition to scales and the selected solo.

I'm not sure which band arrangements to suggest for your HS Wind Ensemble. You could go to the following website and do a search. Your band director would probably be impressed that you knew about this website and that you did a little footwork to find something that your ensemble could work on.

Please understand that he might not make the purchase based on what you find. It takes several years and a lot of experience to pick music that works well for a particular group of students. Also, you'll see that band music can be very expensive.

http://www.jwpepper.com

Joe

13. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC
    "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morrisette.

Sorry, I watched The Office tonight and there was a great reference to that song. I just needed to get it out.

14. Thanks Joe

15. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    No prob. :)

Joe

16. I think I might know that song. (No I don't)

17. Thanks Depth_Charge! I'll listen to the song a few times and see if my band director would like it or not. Thanks again.