What Sould I add to a 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RawBassist, Sep 1, 2002.

1. RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Ok, I'm in a rock band that just got our first gig, whee... Anyway, the venue is quite small and we are going to use a small PA for vocals. I have a 2x10 carvin red eye combo to use with a 4 or 5 string bass. So here are the questions.
    Should I add:
    A 1x15 cab
    A 1x18 cab
    A 4x10 cab
    OR nothing and just mix in with the PA?
    I also have the option of adding a cab AND mixing in the PA. *NOTE* I have to compete with two guitars that are loud and a drumset. So if y'all could help a guy out, I would appreciate it a bunch!
  2. I'd go for the 1x15. That, with a 2x10, will be more than enough for a small club. I used to have a 2x10 + 1x15 set-up and liked it a lot.. the 15 really opened up the bottom end.
  3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I agree with Dave. I use a 400 watt combo with a 15 " speaker on top of a 2x10 external cab, and it sounds really sweet! Lots of bottom end, but tight punchy mids and highs from the 2x10! A perfect blend, IMHO! :p

From there, I use a kick drum/bass microphone to mic the 15" speaker and run through the PA. I have no problems whatsoever competing with guitarists and drummers after that, even when the kit is miked!!! :)
  4. Tyler Kelly

Tyler Kelly

Sep 1, 2002
    Santa Rosa
    I'd go for the 1x15. with your 2x10s you have good mid range definition, and with the 1x15 you can boost the low end without it getting to muddy or loud. After that, I'd invest it a couple more 10s and than see about getting the high end defined.
    For me, Definition is really important. No point being loud if its just noise.
  5. RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    thanks you guys! Another question or two. Would a 4x10 cab get the same kind of lows? And, for extreme lows (e.g. a 5-string), would it be better to use a 1x15 cab or 1x18? All your info is apreciated greatly! So keep it coming! :cool:
  6. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    What sould you add? How bout a spell checker!!
  7. I to am a fan of 1x15 + 2x10 combonation, but try out different combinations if you can before you buy. Trying things out before you buy seems to be the best and most common refferal on TB.
  8. Get the 4x10 and use the 2x10 for rehearsal.

I used a 2x10" + 15" for years.

A 4x10 was louder overall and having both a small cab. and a big cab allows for more flexability.
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Just another 2x10.
    Easy to haul around. Just as much thunder as the others (OK, a little less volume, depending on model chosen).
    Big may be beautiful, but small is just so cute!
  10. I am going to throw out an Idea I havent seen yet. How about a 2-12. Gives you punch of a 2-10 and more lows of a 15. Use your ears and go to a store. Take you combo with and ask to try it through everything you can and see what you like best.
  11. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Harley, that's not a bad idea at all!
  12. That is a good call, Harley. I don't know why I didn't make it myself, given that my current set-up is a 2x10 and a 2x12! :rolleyes: Guess I was just stickin' to the choices he had thrown out. I need to think outside the box a little more!
  13. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Ditto. I use a Nemesis 2x10 and an SWR Bigfoot 2x12, and it sounds great. The Nemesis puts out all the punch, and the Bigfoot handles the low end beautifully. My only complaint is that the SWR sounds kind of "womby;" not hifi like most SWR gear. The Nemesis easily compensates for this, though. Give a good 2x12 a try, with a really good one you can use it stand alone or with the 2x10.
  14. RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    After messing around with the amp,I discovered that it is bi-ampable. Can the 2x12 stand or will a 1x15 be better?
  15. All I can say is go to the stores and try it out. When you try it out try it at a gigging volume. If they have a problem go somewhere else. They need you you dont need them. I just discovered this recently myself. I bought a Eden 2-12xlt and it sounds great exactly what I was looking for.. at low volumes but it cant handle my low B at giging volumes. I went to take it back (bought it used) but they didnt have anything I want so store credit wasnt good. I just came home from a place trying out 2 1-15 Mesa Boogie powerhouse cabs. I explained my dilemma about the 2-12 he told me never buy anything you didnt turn to gigging volume.. So i plugged in he got customers and staff to hold guitars onto the walls as i hit my Low B... these cabs are coming hoe with me on friday. They sounded excelent exactly what I was looking for and the owner will go the extra mile to make a sale.
  16. Whatever you get,2-12 ,1-15 or another 2-10 get a 4 ohm cab.The 2-10s in your Carvin are a 4 ohm load,so get a cabinet of the same impedance so your amp will put out enough power to drive it.Aguilars 2-12 can be had in 4 ohm and would really make your rig kick.