What sound do youlike to play alone.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Sep 23, 2005.

1. at home, in your living room, just playing around, or practicing your slap/soloing....What sounds do you dislike?

Would youlike the nicewarm tone of a Lakland
    an aggressive mean tone of a musicman
    the thump of a P with flats?

Basically, no band, just you?

Personally my bass needs roundwounds, I love a bright tone. Almost like a Stu Hamm tone. Gotta have some warmth in there too.
  2. Phat 'n dirty or just plain phat. One of those two will do.
  3. Alone... hrm... The midrange growl Jaco had. When I'm alone, it's all bridge pickup and tons, and tons, and tons, and TONS of mids.

When I play with other people, I tend to be a bit more respectful and try not to mwah them to death.
  4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Sizzling highs, tight smooth lows & the mids cut! Fresh set of D'addario XL nickel roundwound strings.......I loved the sound of my old Alembic F1-X/Stewart (solo). The problem was, THE BASS disappeared when the band kicked in! :(

I also like a nice buttery mid boosted sound (bridge p/u soloed)..... :bassist:
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm not too particular. My current home practice rig is:

P bass -> cheap mixer -> boom box

The main thing is convenience. I have my computer (play/record) and my Tascam BT-1 both going into the mixer. I can play cds/tapes/mp3s. The cds and mp3 can also be speed or pitch modified.

Plus I can use headphones straight from the mixer.

Life is pretty good :)

P.S. Of course the P bass has flats :bassist:
  6. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Not quite what you're asking, but I play about 90% slap by myself and about 10% slap with a band. I really like to slap, but there are just so many times when it's not tasteful.
  7. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Pianolike...big powerful bottom with a nice clear top end. Exactly what DOESN'T sit well in a mix. So when I play with the band I ignore all that and boost the mids some.
  8. Really, no matter who I play with- always as punchy as possible. Steve Harris meets Steve Digiorgio. The former's treble, and the latter's midrange growl. :bassist:
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My stage sound, just scaled down.
  10. friggin egg

friggin egg

Sep 22, 2005
    I like the more throwback thump of a good vintage with flatwounds. It's delicious!
  11. bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I use the same BP-8 tube pre-amp/effects pedal and amplifier (a 6 pound 300 watt Acoustic Image solid state) that I use on stage for most shows. I just run it into my Acoustic Image Contra EX cabinet (15 lb compact enclosure with 1" bullet tweeter + 5" horn + 10" sub speaker) instead of my Avatar 2x12 (65 lb cabinet with 2 12" Eminence speakers + Fostex tweeter). I like this because it gives me the same sound I have on stage and any tone or effects fiddling that I come up with can be used in my stage setup with no extra effort. :)
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Just a bunch of nonsense really.
  13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I turn the Treble and Bass all the way up and Mid and low mid all the way down. Scoope is like middleish. Tone on bass is cranked. Volume is low because I get yelled at. Warm up with a octive thing. Then I stair at this poster I have hanging on the wall with a bunch of scales on it. I'm hopeing if I look at it long enough all the knowledge will sink in. It slowly happens. That is how I learned my chords for guitar. So maybe it will work twice.
  14. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    By myself I'll usually boost the mids and add some highs on the neck p/u. Also turn my amp's lows and mids up. I love to slap and double thump. :)
    If I get called to sit in with the band then I'll just turn my lows and mids up, highs down. Mix the p/up's (humbuckers) and finger near the bridge. That's about it.