Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What sounds good with your Bag End 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brock29609, Sep 28, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Have a Bag End S15-D? What other cab are you using with it? How do they sound together?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    mine killed with a Bag End S12 and an AMP BH-260

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I LOVE my BagEnd speakers! I have a whole slew of the 15's (eight of 'em), and I use however many I need for a particular gig.

For small venues, I stack an S12 on top of the S15, and I'm good to go. Usually I feed it with the Walter Woods M100, and if I need more power I take the line out and plug it into a Stewart 2.1 and use however many S15's are appropriate.

For me, the combination of the BagEnd speakers and the Walter Woods preamp/amp is magical. It's my favorite setup for my F Bass BN5, which is the instrument I use most often for live gigs.

Those BagEnds also have the wonderful property that the farther away you get the better they sound, and they sound pretty darn good close up!

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    :eek:
    You're my hero!!! Got any pix of the 8x15 set up? What amps are you using to run them. :bassist:

5. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Do any of those have tweeters? You get decent high-end with tweeter-less 12's and 15's?

I wish Bag End made a 210 that was 8 ohms so I could add it to my 15.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    no tweeter in the S12. Personally I prefer a tweeterless cab.... personally I've never wanted for more treble then a 12 can supply.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "Got any pix of the 8x15 set up? "

I do, lemme see if I can find 'em and scan 'em.

"What amps are you using to run them."

Stewart World 2.1 and Carvin DCM-2000.

I like the tweeterless approach too. The S12 give me plenty of high end, more than enough. Even the 15's by themselves are just fine, I think they peak out at around 4 kHz, which is plenty high.

Some people like that really trebly sound, but I'm not really one of them. I used to go for that, but then gradually realized over the years that I'm a BASS player, and it's far more important for me to pay attention to what goes on below 400 Hz.

Besides, when you're live with a loud drummer and a couple of Marshalls, no one's going to hear your tweeter anyway :)

And, it can be downright unpleasant for the audience if you insist on having your tweeter heard over the half stacks!

8. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I use my Bag End 15 mostly with an Eden 4x10XLT. They go really well together. Of course the Walter Ultra helps!

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've found my Eden WT-550 into my pair of Bag S15-Ds is musical nirvana, or close enough for government work...

10. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    One day I may get a G-K 800RB and sending the low 380W into a pair of Bag End 15's, then sending the separate high 100W into something like a 1x10 with a horn for a splash of treble.

For now, I'm going to get an Avatar 210 to go with it. It has an identical sensitivity rating to the Bag End.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bag end 15 is tha bomb
    i used to pair mine with an eden 210 xlt and occasionally an swr goliath 2. this was all powered by an eden wt-400 in various 2 cab configurations.
    nowadays i use a bagend s12 on top and the rig gets powered by an alembic/stewart 2.1 rack
    i think the other guys in this post got it right when they gave the thumbs up to the s15+s12 rig
    the 12 has a little problem with extreme lows but both cabs seem impossible to blow
    the 12 has a real aggressive midrange to it that seems to cut thru anything
    a lot of times i can get away with just the 15 being powered by 1 side of the stewart, i couldnt do that with the eden head as it lacked the power to do so
    i'd love a coax 15 i just havent gotten around to it
    as far as the 210's i agree, i wish they would offer a 8 ohm model
    i havent checked out the 15 "custom" cabinet which is the same dimension as their newer "deep" 2x10, rather han being that bohemoth s15db, but all the feedback i hear from players is that its a good cab, worthy of putting under a 210 or a s15xd or by itself
    fwiw, (sorry that i'm so wordy today) the newer 210 cabs sound fantastic, i cant get why bass player didnt seem to like them when they rated them

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    S15X-D (my current stand-alone speaker) has a coax in it. It's very natural sounding.

13. I like mine just fine

14. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Has anyone paired an S-15D with an EA CXL-110? Both cabs share the same sensitivity rating, so I'm curious how they'd sound in tandem.