What sounds like a 4X10 Bassman, but can handle more power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hogy, Apr 26, 2019.

1. hogy

hogy

Apr 26, 2019
    Hi guys, I'm new here. Thanks for having me!

I'm a guitar player who just dabbles on bass around the house and at the occasional jam. I have a couple of old P-Basses and a fretless Jazz Bass.

I'm not into what would be considered "modern" bass tones, and I don't need a ton of power. I also really like old tube amps.

For me personally, the sound of a Precision into an actual Tweed Bassman (open back 4x10s, for those who aren't into "guitar amps") is as close to perfect as I can imagine. I do understand that quite a few bass players will not agree, but I find the tone, detail, frequency range and bouncy feel to be what I like to hear. I have am Ampeg B-15 rig that I don't like near as much as the Bassman, even if I use the Ampeg cab with a Bassman style amp.

I think what I like is really the 4x10 open back cab. I'm worried about blowing the old Jensen speakers, though. I never turn the amp up past 3 on the volume, and that is not enough to jam with friends.

So I guess my question is, is there a cab out there that comes anywhere close to the Bassman cab? I have tube amps to pair it with. I probably would never run more than a 100 Watt head, but I'd like it if the cab could handle 200 Watts at least and not blow.

Any advice?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would try a sealed cab. Something like an Ampeg 410he.

Your other option would be to call the folks at US Speaker and tell them what you want. They MIGHT know of a 10" speaker that can handle open back with enough juice to carry a bass.

Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

mobass55 likes this.
  3. mobass55

mobass55 Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Nixa Missouri
    I've always wanted a Tweed Bassman, even if I am an Ampeg collector. Just part of the history of bass I guess. I've seen the re-issues and often wonder if they sound even close to the original, say 59 bassman.

two fingers likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021