1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What sounds like a Lane Poor Soap Bar?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Speedbird, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Hi, about 10 years ago I special ordered a Modulus (Quantum 4 Sweet Spot) I specd. a single Lane Poor Soap Bar P/U and 3 band Bartolini MBMT(sp?) 18v pre-amp... Bottom line, I like it.

Since you can't get Lane-Poors any more, what can I put in a Fretless 5 I am having built that will sound/feel similar?

Thanks,

2. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I recommend SGD's "sidewinder" Series 4, or any of the Villex pickups, especially the new "NVT" system. Either of these should work especially good for a fretless bass.

Q-Tuners are supposed to resemble Lane Poors but with more output. I have one, but haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Another good contender for a nice fretless pickup would be the Delano SBC. They don't quite have the same treble response as the Lane Poors, but they do have quite a bit of clarity and a really sweet midrange. The SBC "neck" pickup sounds exceptional in the sweet spot.

Finally, the Lane Poor pickup designs are being made again by Legacy Pickups, operated by a former apprentice of Lane Poor, using the same tools and processes. You aren't completely out of luck, but a lot has happened in the past 10 years of bass pickups, so don't rule out the other options. :)

3. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Do you happen to recall the type of pickup (HB, narrow, wide)? Also, what would your ideal pickup sound like? That would help with the recommendations.

As mentioned above, the SGDs and Q-tuners are in the same ballpark. I've found the Q-tuner to sound somewhat similar to the LP wide aperture, with perhaps a bit more upper extension, lower noise, and hotter output.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'd like to chime in and mention that the Sidewinders also have a warmer tone than Q-tuners, while keeping the upper extension, and more output than the Lane Poors.

5. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Does anyone know if the Legacy Pickup company makes ones that fits a Modulus Quantum 5? How about SGD?

6. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Which pickup type does it have? The EMG soapbars?

I make them in those sizes... actually just about any size but a J at the moment.

7. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Practically nobody uses those outdated J-style pickups these days anyway... ;)

8. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Mine has the Bartolini soapbars which I think are slightly different than the EMGs.

9. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
  10. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    If they are 1.5" X 4" (102mm X 38mm) then they are the EMG size, which Bart also makes.

If they are 107mm X 32mm, that's the Bart BC5 size, and I make that also.

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I had a Jazz Bass with Lane Poor soapbars.
    And a "Flea" bass with a Lane Poor MM style pickup.
    They were some of the best passive pickups I've played.
    Tone for days.

12. edspyhill01

edspyhill01 Guest

I just discovered your web site today and fell in love with the narrow J humbucker, ND3-J4. What a fantastic sound! To my ears, my favorite.

Ed S.

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Glad you like it! But I don't make the SW4 pickups in a J yet.

The narrow J humbucker is an ND3-J4 neo pickup. It'e the same pickup in the Jazz shells and also as the narrow version of the larger soapbar styles. It's a baby version of the larger neo humbuckers. It also works for 5 string basses that use standard jazz size pickups, since it has continuous blades and not poles.

On the topic of Lane Poors, I'm working on my own version of the LP humbucker, such as the one he used in the MM cases. Thanks to tubby.twins I have some real LPs to compare to.

14. edspyhill01

edspyhill01 Guest

Whoops, my defective short term memory. It was the ND3-J4 pickup. I corrected my post.