What sounds like a Taurus?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DanGouge, Apr 27, 2004.

1. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    OK so the Moog Taurus is an amazing sounding synth effect. What I'm wondering is if there is something that is a fraction of the cost that can approximate that, or do I have to start saving for an original Taurus? Any suggestions? :ninja:
  2. Sure get a set of fatar midi pedals and a sampler. I can't remember what sample disk it came off but a while ago I found a great taurus sample that does it great.
    I used to have the classic Taurus I and in comparison the samples are great. Remember the Taurus was always mono, so to get samples of a mono source is easy. Go crazy and sample every note individually, and every preset and it won't take up any space. :)
    And even cooler with a midi pedal you can get "other" sounds too.
    Have fun,
  3. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I play bass and keys live for my band, and I have some Roland PK-4 MIDI pedals. Using an Alesis NanoBass module and more recently an E-mu Vintage Keys module (which has dual MIDI Ins for your pleasure), I have acheived delicious results. I've even gotten a tasty Taurus-style bass-synth drone out of an old Casio CZ-101! My preferred pedals sound is the classic Taurus "whoomf", and I have had no real complaints about going the MIDI route.

The pedals will set you back about $400 new, but like Mr. Diggler mentioned, you're buying modularity and expandability. I.e. you willnot only be able to trigger a plethora of wacky synth sounds with you feet, you'll also be able to run any MIDI-capable FX rack unit from your footpedals, etc. A sample player is great, but a simple synth module will do, too. The aforementioned Alesis NanoBass did me right for several years for only $99 new.

Compared to a fragile set of single-flava-for-$750+ vintage Taurus pedals...? The choice is pretty easy, unless you are a dyed-in-the-wool Analogue Freaq.