1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What sounds like an Ampeg810?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by countrybassist, May 7, 2010.

1. I'm looking for a cab for smaller gigs that sounds similar to my Ampeg 810, but is in a 410 config. I thought that I'd just use my 2 Aggie DB112's for smaller gigs, until I used them last night and realized how much I prefer a cab sound without ports. So that kinda rules out some other Ampeg cabs, and I'm not going to use the Ampeg 410HE because it's just isn't enough. Any suggestions?

2. sirpug

sirpug

May 8, 2008
    Everett Wa
    I've been looking to trade my 810 for an Ampeg 610. I'm thinking that it might be a decent compromise between the sound of the fridge and the size of the 410. Only issue is that I've never played a 610 so I'm not 100% that I'm correct in my assumption. I could be way off base.

3. Thnaks for the input. I used a DB412 for alittle over a year, and just went back to Ampeg after I scored a great deal on an Ampeg CL SLM w/ a kick azz road case in the deal. So I picked up an Ampeg 810. I used it last night at rehearsal with my 2 DB112's and that made me realize how much more I prefer a non ported cab sounds, Not so boomy. I never played an Ampeg 610 or 410 in that setting. The're ported so.. I don't know.

4. Are you using the Agi 750 head? I've got a similar delima...I recently fell back in love with the sealed cab sound. The loss of volume is an issue. Current production sealed 4x10s that I know of are: Ear Candy, MarkBass and Acoustic (GC). A sealed 4x10 will likely not get you "enough". I would suggest a Bergantino NV610 as it seems to be able to speak SVT 8x10 in a smaller and lighter config.

5. Nope not using the Aggie Head, but rather an Ampeg SVT-CL. Cool suggestions bro. My main rig includes the 810, so that's staying, it's just some shows don't quite that much.

6. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I'd go with the Berg 610 ... it nails the Ampeg sound, it's really easy to move/handle, not as heavy as the 8x10

7. Thanks man

8. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    I suggest the Markbass CL106 (6x10 cab) sealed cabinet. It's 71 lbs. and 35 inches tall. Roll bar included.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The SVT810 and SVT610HLF are very, very different cabnets! Physically, the 810 is a sealed cabinet without a tweeter while the 610HLF is a ported cabinet with a tweeter. The 610HLF has much bigger low end and more top end while the 810 has a beautiful warm, vintage roar!

Try one multiple times before you say goodbye to your 810!!!

10. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    If you don't mind the low power handling, Jensen makes an SVT replacement speaker you could stick in a sealed 410 (2x210 internally) and have yourself more or less the exactly sound of a vintage 810.

Also, Ampeg makes a mini 210 you could buy two of. The BGM folks say it does the classic SVT cab sound well.

11. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I believe the SWR marcus Miller 4x10 cabinet is a sealed enclosure, I have not tried one.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

My SVT killer is the Bergantino NV610. It's sealed with no tweeter, and has all the goodness of the 8x10 beast... even more of it, IMO. At less than 100 pounds, it's really pretty easy to tilt back and roll around for a 6x10 (and easier than many 4x10's IMO).

For smaller gigs I use a pair of Bergantino HS210 cabs. Yes, these are ported and have tweets, but are plenty punchy in the mids and the tweets can be rolled back or off completely for more warmth.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    you got:

berg nv610 (winner)

two ampeg 210av's in a vertical stack (since the 410he wasn't enough for you, this may also not be enough, but it just might since it will be stacked vertically, which means you'll be able to hear it better)

markbass cl106 and 108 (i've only played the 108...great sounding cab but really doesn't sound much like the ampeg 810...a bit lighter on the very bottom and more "smooth" sounding)

but bear in mind that about 75% of why we like the 810 is because it has eight tens. you'll never get quite that feeling out of smaller cabs, except possibly for the berg. it's physics...bass = big. so if you downsize, you're going to have to accept some tradeoff. the berg works better because it's in a bigger cab. a 410 just will never give you that 810 sound unless you go ported, and even then it's not going to sound quite as big. just the way it is.

14. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Another vote for the NV610 here, I've been gigging one with my SVT's for 5 years now and haven't had any desire to replace mine with anything else yet. You may not think this cab sounds all that special when playing solo but as soon as you hear (and feel) how well a NV610 blends in a band mix you'll understand why so many guys recommend this cab. You'll also find you'll have less problems with boomy sounding rooms with poor acoustics and how well you can hear yourself without playing too loud, and how much easier it is to move around and load than a fridge or most any 410 for that matter.

15. sirpug

sirpug

May 8, 2008
    Everett Wa
    Thank-you! This is the info I needed. Looks like I'll be sticking with my 810 for the near future since I can't afford one of those NV610.

16. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
  17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago