Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What speaker brand??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzanova, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Hi!

I have an old SUNN 215s. Today for the fist time I took out the speakers out of it to se the brand of them. They where JES loudspeakers rating 200W peak 400W each. But my question is, do any body knows any thing of the JES brand? Are they the original speakers for my SUNN 215s? Are they good quality speakers?

2. If I remember corectly, my old Sunn 215 had CTS speakers in them and they were the original speakers. I'm not familar with the JES brand (but I'm not an expert on old speakers and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn express last night). There was an unofficial Sunn website dedicated to the old Sunn products, but I don't have their current URL. If they're still around, they had a forum that might help yu.

For what it's worth: after 30 years, my speakers were pretty flabby. I replaced them with JBL's and the cabinet sounds GREAT!! This is one well built cab. If nothing else, have your drivers reconed at Weber for something like $65 each. http://www.webervst.com/recone

3. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
    ok thx. Maby I'll do that. But it's expensive to send the speakers to US from Sweden. So maby buying a pair of new ones is better.

4. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I looked up the weber vst page now, they have a California 15 Bass speaker that sounds nice. Only 80W each but I use a Orange at 120W so a 160W cab is not a danger. Have any one tried a Weber bass speaker?

5. Sorry, didn't notice you were in Sweden.

I personally would put something in there that could handle more than 80 watts per speaker....

6. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    can you get some Peavey Black Widows? I used them in a 215. They are good quality speakers.

-Mike

8. The new Sunn cabs use Eminence drivers custom made for that cab. Contact Eminence. If the cabinet is vented or ported you are going to run into problems. If it is sealed, don't worry. Otherwise, you will need to know the thiele-small parameters.

9. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
    The old SUNN is vented. What will I need to know then?? Or is it better to sell it and buy a new one. I'm planing on down size'ing any way to 2 x Aggie GS 112.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Eminence will NOT divulge the parameters of custom speakers it makes for cab manufacturers, its policy.

11. The new Sunn cabs are not equal to the old Sunn 215s in either size or construction or port size. So it doesn't really matter what went into the newer Sunns.

I put JBL 2226H's in mine. JBL E140's would also work well in this cab. Of course, both of those drivers are quite expensive. I also looked at Eminence Delta's and they would match up well too, for a much lower price.

If this cab is in good shape, and you like the 2x15 sound, and you can carry it to gigs, keep it and just put new speakers in it. I don't recommend vintage speaker cabs usually, but the Sunn 215s is a good cab.

12. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    wondering if based on the old sunn part number (158b) the c,b158 is a good bet for the 115s/215s w/ flared ports? almost looks like similar flared port setup as the yamahaJ-115L I have