1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What speaker cable do you use/recommend?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kaxx, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Kaxx

Kaxx

Apr 1, 2007
    Columbia, MO 65201
    Simple question here, what is the speaker cable of choice here on this forum?

2. I haven't ordered mine yet (I will this week) but the cable of choice seems to be from Butch at Bayou Cables. From all I've heard he's a great, stand-up guy to deal with.

http://www.bayoucables.com/store/catalog/

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If you can't make your own (it's not exactly brain surgery) Bayou makes good cables at a reasonable price. You can spend more but it won't sound better.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    because of my lack of bulk cable and shrink wraps and such... I buy from www.greatcables.us

5. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    whatevers cheap and reasonably durable.

6. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    +1 Bayoucables.com

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    12 guage 2 conductor flexible electrical cable from my local Home Depot's bulk rolls, toss on some speakon connectors, and its just as good as anything that can be purchased commercially at a mere fraction of the price.

8. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I'm happy with Pro Co Sound Fat Max speaker cables.

9. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    no one for monster?
    they have my vote

10. I like monster cables, but they are too expensive... 45$ for a single instrument cable?

You gotta be kiddin' me...

11. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    I make speaker cables with round, 14 gauge stranded copper, rubber-jacketed service cord as it's called. I get it from an industrial supplier since HD or Lowes only carries 3 conductor -you don't need an extra (green) wire though - clip it off.

Speakon-to-Speakon just long enough to go between your amp and cab(s). WHITE wire is 1+ and BLACK is 1- on the Speakon terminals. As long as 1+ is WHITE on both ends, you'll be good (unless someone messed up the cab wiring).

You will NEVER know the "sonic" difference between this cable and PREMIUM or Monster wire. The standard Neutrik Speakon plug is an NL2FC, 2-pole connector. There are also configurations using +2 and -2 for different applications on a 4-pole Speakon. Either plug can be used as long as you don't wire to the second (2+2-) terminals.

12. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    +1

monster cables suck imo

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I use about 2.5 feet of 12-gauge 2-conductor stranded copper wire from Orchard Supply Hardware.

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I use 10gauge 2 wire cable I buy at a local auto stereo installer and I also have cables made from Monster wire that I was given at a stereo retailer that I do business with. I can't tell if there is any sonic difference, I have not noticed any, but the Monster is a lot more flexible. I have settled on Speakon connectors as phone jacks are simply incapable of handling my system power safely. Also I don't have to worry about shorts from a diconnected cable. I use the 4 pole version as do the manufacturers of all my equipment. I bought some 2 pole versions and found that although the 2P plug will fit into a 4P socket the reverse will not. I make these cables myself and I agree with Bill it's very easy to do.

15. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    I've been a satisfied user of Peavey speaker cables for years.

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sabre Cables. I have also used Monsters, and various other brands.

17. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I have 2-3ft. cables Monster made back in the early 90's for my WW's Ultra and still use them with it.

For other systems I use the 12 guage, 2 stranded copper wire with speakons.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

:)

I make my own speakon and banana cables. I buy the parts from a local discount store (Chuck Levins). Last time I was there, they had some 14ga speaker wire remnants sitting around that I bought for cheap. I don't use speaker cable longer than 6 feet, so 14ga is actually thicker than I need.

Fortunately I no longer own any amps or cabs that require 1/4" phono plugs. Good riddance: poor design, and soldering isn't my idea of fun.

19. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    PHIL JONES BASS speaker cables..

i love them.. without doubt..

no zipwire, 12 gauge speaker cable can match it..

20. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Make my own (10 ga. speaker wire from an auto stereo shop + neutrik speakons) or Bayou cables!

Dan K.