1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what speaker cable to use

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by imChinOaChicken, Aug 18, 2007.

1. i went to guitar center with my savings of couple hundred dollars cash in hand today and walked out with a nib LMII and a comfort strapp. :)

im looking for a single 12 inch cab and deciding between an aguilar gs112 or an avatar sb112.

im a little new with the whole sperate head/cab and need to know what speaker cable would i need to connect the LMII to either of these cabs?

please recomend something from musiciansfriend since ill most likely be getting the aguilar from there.

thanks

2. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I use planet waves for speakers, and they are very reliable, well built, heavy duty, etc....

I used to build my own, but these are better.

3. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    There are countless recommendations for Bayou cables - my next cable purchase will be from Butch.

www.bayoucables.com

4. hehe sorry i didnt specify.. :p
    i kinda wanted to know what kinda of cable i needed. when i looked at musiciansfriend there were soo many different types of speaker cables
    ...1/4", neutrik, xlr...
    some of them even with mixed types of connectors. so i just need to know what kinda of connector i need :help:

5. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Speakon. 1/4 is for instrument cable - there are also 1/4 speaker cables but they aren't as good as Speakons. :)

6. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Speakon's are a better connection for the voltages involved with speakers if your amp and cab will take them. Not all amps and cabs will But you can get speakon on one end and 1/4" on the other if that is what you need. I would also suggest Getting your cable from Butch at bayou cables. Great Guy great cables and Great price.

7. planet waves make one that is diesel it really helps with tone i dont no what its called 50$ for a 6 footer

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's a speaker cable?

9. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    Definitely get a cable with speakon plugs. They can handle more power, and they won't get yanked out. Try to get a good heavy guage cable too.

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I personally like Van den hul " the third".
    I hear good things about analysis plus
    High purity silver isw good also (many manufacturers offer silver connectors)
    Very nice.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Silver is about 8% more conductive than copper, but many times more expensive. It would make much more sense to just choose the next larger gauge of copper wire than to use silver.

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    ...I agree on that one-wasn't advocating silver over copper( at least not intended to do so ).
    I guess skin effect doesnt pose a problem on speaker cables either.
    And of course when it come to cables, there are so many factors that come into it...as with anything.
    I personally like silver, but certainly do not dislike copper.

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    $1 a foot is the highest you should pay for any cable. You can pay $1,000 a foot and it won't sound any better. Add another $5 each for connectors and that makes a six foot cable worth about $16. Head on down to the Bayou.
    Whatever your amp and cab use.

14. eastbaybass

eastbaybass

May 17, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    I build my own with speakons and 10/2 cable. Overkill? Maybe, but the you can fit 10awg wire int the new generation speakons.

15. thanks for all the replies :D

i may have to hold on to get the cab though :bawl: for some reason, my dad wont let me order one online right now because of issues with its size and since hes the one with the credit card, my cash is worthless :meh: its kinda weird since he was pointing at me to get a 2x10 or a little MB combo at guitar center which both arent that much bigger than a 1x12 cab. sucks..

so im stuck with my awesome LMII that i cant use and my POS crate bt15 which i hate using.

anyone know if the avatar cabs (sb112) accept speakon plugs?

16. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Yes, they do.

17. bassbeard

bassbeard

Jul 18, 2007
    akron, ohio
    has anyone ever had their speakon cables sound worse than regular 1/4" ones? i was using some old cables for quite a while to run from my SVT4-Pro to an 810E and 810HPC cab. i finally decided to go drop the $50 and get two speakon cables to use instead. i was very disappointed. they really seemed to suck the tone out of my sound. The speakon cables were the GC store brand (live wyres or something), but my other cables weren't anything special either. i tried hooking them up all different ways, but the speakons just sounded wimpy.

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Assuming they are Neutrik Speakons and not cheap knock-offs if anything the improved connection between jack and plug would result in better current flow. You also have to be sure of the proper pin assignments, as some amps and cabs do deviate from the usual +1-1. For the cable itself to degrade the sound would require abysmal resistance, capacitance and inductance, but it is possible. A high price is no guarantee of high quality.

19. Sounds like bassbeard MAY have a polarity issue with the two different cables. Worth checking out.

20. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Bill - What if you have 1/4" at the speaker and both 1/4" and Speakon at the amp? In your opinion, is it worth only having Speakon at one end, or does the 1/4" at the other end defeat it? In other words, should I buy/build a Speakon/phone jack cable or just use the 1/4 phone jack cables I already have? Amp output is rated 650w into two 250w 4 Ohm cabs.

THANKS!