What speaker for Ampeg B15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Waabs, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    I've got an Ampeg B15 and it has the original CTS speaker in it. I don't mind how it sounds but I've heard that the JBL D140f sounds better but finding one could be difficult.

Obviously a Jensen, Celestion or Eminence is an easy option.

Would getting say one of the high power handling (400/500W) Eminence speakers have any advantage over a lower powered one in what is a relatively low powered amp?

Could anyone suggest a speaker that could get the best out of the B15?
  2. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Ampeg is equiping amps today and in the more recent past with Eminence as you know. They still make the worlds most popular cabs because of their sound. So, if Eminence are available in Australia, that's what I would purchase IMO. I love my Eminence loaded HLF.
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Use a JBL E140 or 2226. From Eminence the Magnums have good bass response but a poor high end, better to go with a Delta Pro 15. Any of these are significantly better than the original driver.
  4. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I haven't had a B-15 in decades, but as I recall, space is pretty limited in the box. You'd best make a few measurements to see what will physically fit inside. I believe there might be a clearance problem with some drivers if you try and drop the amp back inside.
  5. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Is your amp a vintage B-15 or the new reissue? If it is vintage, I suggest you seriously think about keeping it original. I have both, researched speaker changes, and concluded to keep mine stock. There is a website that specializes in old Ampegs. Its www.fliptops.com. You might want to check them out.
  6. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I have a '64 B15N and at one time switched out the speaker for a K140. It was so bad to my ear I put the original back in right away. The original is a lightweight speaker which is very responsive and punchy, even at low volumes. These characteristics are hard to find in modern high-power handling speakers.

If you decide to get rid of the original I'd definitely be interested in buying it if it is from approximately the same time period. :)
  7. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I think finding a nice vintage EV SRO would fit the bill nicely. Better tone, efficiency, and it would match the era of the amp.

I know that Weber makes an SRO-style 15 called the "Michigan" that would also be great. Certainly much, much better than the original -- IMO.
  8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Its been a while since I owned my B15's, but I remember
    the JBL D140 was the best sounding speaker I could find.
    I was using it for electric and upright bass. Try to find a
    D140 on ebay or somewhere. I think you would be VERY
    happy with it.
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    When I had a B-15, I also had a JBL140 in it, and thought it sounded great! Boy!.....I wish I still had that amp :(
  10. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    It is a vintage one but I'd be keeping the old speaker. I'll definitely have to look into whether any new speaker will fit - didn't think of that!

Thanks for the responses guys.