Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What speaker should i get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by azsfcsh, Jun 11, 2005.

1. azsfcsh

azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    Well, i have an Ampeg BA115 that i plan on taking apart so i can get a 15" speaker that will be able to run with my SWR Workingman's 4004 head. The head is 400watts at 4ohms and 260watts at 8ohms. Im not that good with speakers but what kind of speaker should i put in there so i can play it with that head? BTW i also have a 4x10" on the first jack on the head so the second cab will be going into the second jack. For the speaker on the Ampeg(1x15" at 100watts), how much do you think i could get for it, with out selling the the entire cab, just the speaker? I have only used it for like a half of a year, and was only played in my garage at like half power. And the second thing is what speaker should i replace it with, with the specifications above, for around $100-150?

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Why are you replacing the speaker in an Ampeg cab? Most cabinet makers design the cabinets around the particular speaker that is in it. If you change out the speaker, you have to be very careful and do a lot of research to match a speaker with the size of the enclosure. If you just throw any speaker into it, more than likely, it'll sound like garbage...very thin and weak (no matter how expensive the speaker you put in it is). You are better off keeping the Ampeg intact and selling it as a complete unit if you are simply tired of it's sound. If the speaker doesn't work anymore, you aren't going to get any kind of cash for it, but if it does work...my recomendations is to leave it in the cabinet. If the speaker is burnt out, I'm sure you can get replacement drivers from Ampeg.

3. I think he wants to replace it with a speaker that has a higher wattage rating since he will be putting 200w through it and it's only rated for 100.

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I'm interested too! :)

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.

ABSOLUTELY. Don't mess with it. Its all money down the drain. Sell it.
    No really, sell. sell it for $150 and buy an Avatar single 15 cab instead. Its all matched up and will work well. I had a garage full of empty cabinets and raw speakers. I don't suggest trying to play "Dr speaker" when your not Dr Speaker.

6. Listen too Masher88! Absolutely correct. You will likely bring more sorrow and money down the toilet and would be better to get an Avatar cab as suggested.

7. azsfcsh

azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    Don't you think i could sell it for more than $150? I mean, it is pretty much new, and Guitar Center was offering $200 minimal. But I was just wondering if it was easier to put a speaker in there with that head connected to it, rather than just buying a brand new cabinet.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    this is sort of like what i was thinking of doing. taking an old home stereo cabinet and replacing the speaker with one that is meant for bass guitar. I guess it wont work though, eh? :bag:

9. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Seriously, If you are looking to get a higher wattage speaker in a 1x15" cabinet and trying to save a little cash...you are way better off buying an Avatar or Dr. Bass cab. Or even looking an Ebay for something. Sell the ampeg and use that cash towards something new. It rarely works out well when you play Dr. Frankenbass and just drop a different speaker into an existing cabinet. Check out the search function on this site and see some of the posts by people who are making thier own cabs. They get pretty technical. Not saying that you don't know the specifics of matching up a driver to an enclosure, but if you did...you probably wouldn't be here asking TB about this. Just out of curiousity, what ampeg cab is only rated at 100 watts? Is the problem that it's farting out at really low volumes? I would think that most Ampeg cabs could handle an SWR Workingman's wattage without blowing up. Unless it's a really old model. Check out Avatar...for the price, the cabs are nice sounding and can handle a buttload of power. I own 2 myself! not that I'm somekind of salesman for them...I just like em. PS, you are better off selling the cab than trading it in at Guitar Center...they have a nasty habit of ripping people off on trades. I have a buddy who's a manager there and he gives me the dirt on that kinda stuff. For example, a used Laney 100 W guitar head they took in for 200 bucks and resold it for $899. That's a hell of a mark up!

10. azsfcsh

azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    The Ampeg is a combo amp, which is the BA115. I dont know if it is the speaker that can only handle 100watts, but the amp connected to it only produces 100watts. For some reason, my parents won't let me sell the combo, so i was thinking of just upgrading the speaker, to something that could handle the head i have. But if someone knows if the speaker in the combo i have now can handle the wattage of my head, please tell me.

11. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The speaker in your amp is rated at 150 watts and has a 4 ohm load. There is also a piezo tweeter in it. It doesn't list what the power rating on that is. How are you running the output of your SWR into this combo amp? The manual doesn't list any "amp bypass jack" or "Extension Speaker input" of any kind. Are you running a line out from your SWR into the input jacks of the combo or something?

12. azsfcsh

azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    Well, i havent actully plugged in the speaker, because i am afriad that it will blow. However, the head has 2 output jacks, and on the SWR website it says one is 400watts@ 4ohms and another at 260watts@ 8ohms. Im not sure which jack is which, but im guessing the first jack is the 400watts. Im pretty sure i can plug another cab into the second jack, to combine with my 1st cab. If i am wrong please tell me. If i can just use the stock speaker with the second jack, and not blow it, i will use that.

13. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Good call.

The 2 jacks on the head are identical. The labels indicate the amp can push 260w into an 8 ohm load or 400w into a 4 ohm load. It probably should never see a load below 4 ohms (which is what would happen with a 4 ohm AND 8 ohm speaker plugged in).

You need another external 8 ohm speaker; your combo has a 4 ohm speaker.

14. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    If you are going to use your combo amp as an extension speaker, you are going to have to rig up an input jack that bypasses the built in amplifier. Is this the setup that you are trying to achieve?