What speakers for new head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deadphish, Nov 3, 2004.

1. deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    Well as luck would have it I just acquired an Ampeg SVT4-pro. Now the question is what speakers should I hook up to it?

I already own a GK 2x10 combo (400rbIII) and like the idea of incorporating that into my stage rig so I could use the 400rb as a backup. I also like the idea of using the bi-amp feature of the amp which would naturally point me towards adding a 15.

In that case should I just get the GK 115 200w cab that matches my 200 w 10's? At 8 ohms I would be putting 300 watts into each cabinet. Is that OK?

If I got a 4x10 4 ohm cabinet would I still want to use the bi-amp and x-over? I am just kind of new to having this many options so any pointers or thoughts at all would be helpful.

BTW, I mostly play the music of PHiSH (tribute band) so think Mike Gordon :). For those not familiar with Phish or Mike I am basically going for a modern full range fusion sound with a 5 string and active pups. Size of venues is anywhere from 100-1000.

Also, I have heard a few bad things about the quality of this particular amp. The one I got was just repaired and is supposed to be good to go now. It crapped out on the previous owner and while it was being fixed he ended up buying something else. So I got his old amp...lol. I figure with the backup GK amp and a well ventilated rack I should be OK. Any thoughts? Does this sound reasonable?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    1st, 300 watts into cabinets rated @ 200 watts is ok, just don't dime it.
    2nd, biamping can be cool but 9 times out of 10 full range sounds just as good or better. That's not to say you shouldn't look into a 15, just that most bass cabinets are designed to be run full range, and a lot of times a 15 and a 210 run full range together sound awesome.
    You definitely don't want to biamp if you go with a 4x10. Even though bass cabinets with tens and twelves are designed to take the full range of a bass, most manufacturer's will tell you not to use their ten or twelve inch speakers as the bottom half of a biamped rig as that puts a lot of strain on most of those speakers.
    Based on the sound you're going for, if you stick with GK, i would go with the 410 rather than the 15.

As always, i might as well suggest that if you can, give the bag end 115 a listen (with or without coax) :cool: