What speakers to fill an empty Bag End D10X-D (2x10) cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by omnidirectional, Dec 18, 2019.

1. omnidirectional

omnidirectional

Jan 10, 2019
    Recently picked up a nice condition little Bag End D10X-D (2x10) cab in a trade. It's in great shape except the speakers are no longer with it.

I'd like to get some speakers in it so I can have a solid little portable cab to take to practice or jams. (I have a deeper Bag End 4x10 that I love but it's around 100lbs and a beast to move.)

I know they had some specially configured speakers in there initially, but buying new replacements of the original speakers is likely outside the budget of this project. Looking for the sweet spot of value vs. performance.

Specs of the cab in it's original state:
    4 ohm
    Wattage: 400/800 (cont/peak)
    Crossover point: 3.7kHz
    Dimensions: 18x22x12
    Original speakers: (1) E-10 & (1) E10X

Any advice or recommendations from you more experienced folk would be greatly appreciated!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Measure the INSIDE dimensions. Then call the fine folks at US Speaker. They will give you several options based on your budget and the the data.

https://usspeaker.com/homepage-1.htm

3. omnidirectional

omnidirectional

Jan 10, 2019
    I can do this! Do I need to take the interior baffles into account as well, I assume?

4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Honestly, I'm not technically advanced enough to know. That's why I rely on them for such things. :D

They never, ever, rush you when it comes to figuring out what you need. So get basic measurements. Then have the cab and a tape with you when you call. If they have more questions about the data they'll ask. I have had a great experience with them several times. I know they'll want to know any port dimensions.

omnidirectional likes this.
  5. omnidirectional

omnidirectional

Jan 10, 2019
    Super helpful. Thank you!

6. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
  7. omnidirectional

omnidirectional

Jan 10, 2019
    Thank you! I did see that but those would be more than I'd be looking to spend on this particular project.

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Glad to help.

9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Might be a good idea to prepare for a replacement HF driver, possibly the crossover too, just in case. Do you know they are still good? It wouldnt be a terrible waste of time to find out for sure about those two.

10. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    One of the tens is a coax . Eminence has a Beta ten coax that might work . You would also need a high frequency driver to screw into the back of the Beta like this one ."PRV Audio D230Ti-S 1" Titanium Horn Compression Driver 8 Ohm 1-3/8"-18 TPI" from www.parts-express.com! .Then get another Beta 10 to go with it . This is the most Inexpensive option I know of . I don't know if they would be right for that cabinet but they are fairly forgiving as a bass speaker . The interior baffles and such aren't too much of a concern for tuning , mostly just the inside volume .

A pair of these would be the ones . "Eminence Beta-10CX 10" Coaxial Driver" from www.parts-express.com! . Also since these are coax one of them gets the PRV driver and the other will need a plug since they both have a hole through the magnet and dust cover that acts as a horn . This piezo driver would be screwed into the other 10" and not hooked up and act like a plug . "GRS PZ1142 Piezo Bullet Horn Driver Similar to KSN1142A" from www.parts-express.com! .

There should be two pair of wires from the jackplate/crossover , one set goes to the woofers and the other to the horn drver . The pair of speakers and the two drivers should cost about $200 total . Checking with Ussspeakers to see if the Betas are a fit for your cab .

I looked at the price of Bag Ends replacement speakers , no wonder you are looking fo options , though I'm sure the Bag End speakers would make the cab sound awesome .

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    After doing R&D with a number of manufacturers, I can tell you, using "lesser" or not optimum speakers can REALLY effect the performance of a cab. You can turn a great speaker box into something you might not be happy with after spending a lot of money. Spend a bit more, get what is optimum for that high end Bag end box. You'll be much happier in the end. jmho

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  12. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Yeah, best to. At the dimensions you've given, and assuming it is built from 3/4" material, and not knowing if the sound board is recessed or other specifics, your internal volume is about 2.05 sq. ft. 18x22x12, minus 11/2" each meas. for material. 16.5 x 20.5 x 10.5 divided by 1728 (sq ft.) That should give you a ballpark # to get an idea of what you're looking for.
    Personally, I would call or email Eminence. They are very helpful in matters like this, and they probably made the driver for Bag End. Their stuff was in just about everything at one time or another.

13. omnidirectional

omnidirectional

Jan 10, 2019
    Normally I'd agree. And I won't do anything that precludes me upgrading the speakers later.

But the cab only cost me $50 so far and I don't have a huge amount to sink into it at this point.

This is hugely helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to go through this.

14. omnidirectional

omnidirectional

Jan 10, 2019
    Thank you for this! Appreciate the math help and the info!

15. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Hey, no sweat. That's what we do here at TB.

Pulverizor and omnidirectional like this.
  16. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Don't know if it's helpful or not but I have a 1x12" Bag End with a 300w. 8ohm EV innit. I emailed Bag End and about a month later they responded that it's a replacement speaker.

That said, it sounds great.

17. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I bought a BagEnd 15 cab several years ago, and then got a second one (used). When it arrived, the speaker was dead. I called BagEnd for any help, and they had a full line of speakers on hand, and they also had a few re-coned speakers on hand, for about 1/2 the price. I got the re-cone and I could never tell (or hear) the difference for the next several years.

Call 'em.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022