Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Hi. I'm building my own cab, a 4x10 and possibly with a tweeter. What speakers should I use for the 10s and the tweeter. Also, what should the box dimensions be?
    Thanks
    John

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You might want to check out www.avatarspeakers.com

They make nice cabinets with good speakers for less than what you could build them for. Trust me on this one.

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Avatar also sells speakers too, Eminence speakers. Are you building a cab because you need a cab or building one to figure out how it works, and how to make it work?

Peace
    -Ben

4. Both

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I see you're rocking the basic 60 combo, I still own mine from when I was younger. You have some nice bass' I actually own a corvette standard too '97 (bubinga body, weng neck, brass frets and adjusta nut). Anyway, I would say if you need something bigger and don't really have to much money to throw around, you should buy a cab rather then build one. It will cost you more to build your own and you may end up with sub-par results. Check out avatar, they make some great stuff for rather cheap.

Peace
    -Ben

6. I wanted to build my own cabs to try to save money and for a fun project. That's how I stumbled on the Avatar site while searching for empty cabs to model one after. It didn't take much math to figure out I couldn't build one better for the money so I got one. Then I got another.

Avatar sells their drivers for a great price and they're good speakers.

Not one to leave well enough alone I picked up an Eminence 12LF from Avatar. I am going to convert my B115 to a single 12 cab. The specs match up really well after a tuning adjustment.