1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What sports do you guys play for recreation and to keep fit?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wolfs, Apr 9, 2006.

1. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    This tangentially inspired by kserg's post about temporarily halting drinking... but what sports do y'all play (those that do) to keep active?

I played football in high school and loved it (and was pretty good at it). But I stopped playing by college because I wanted to concentrate on my studies.

As time goes by, I really miss it... more than I thought I would. I toy with the idea of playing sports, but I don't know what to play and where to join up for something like that. Obviously, I'd love to play football, but I'm not in that kind of shape any more, and, given that it's such a brutal game, I don't think it's a good idea. I like team sports better than individual ones... I dunno, I'd be interested to hear what sports you play and how you got involved.

Oh, and I'm 26 so this question's aimed at the guys that are around my age or older, though you younger guys don't feel intimidated to post.

2. I play lacrosse and i fence. You should deffinetly try fencing, it is unique because it usses your mind and body. you also dont need to be in perfect shape to do it (of course it dosnt hurt if you are).

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Play squash. Used to play tennis, but stopped because I have no one to play with. I also used to play golf, but I stopped because it's too expensive.

To keep fit I primarily just go to the gym though.

4. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Football, baseball, HANDBALL and some basketball.

I play just to have fun. :ninja:Handball, I play for money.:ninja:

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I play soccer once in a while, but my main sport to stay in shape is running.

6. I ride a BMX bike, typical sport(not really much of a sport) for a 15 year old to do really. It keeps me fit, it's fun, and I meet loads of people from it.

This kind of stuff basically.
    http://bikeflatmedia.com/bmxchurch06.wmv

7. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I'm a world champion in gorging.

Just kidding, primarily my routine to staying in shape is running and boxing, though I'm not licensed to participate in matches right now. Hopefully by August I'll have time to take up Judo, in which case my main passion is for mixed martial arts.

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    How are your hands holding up? I'm interested in boxing as a workout, but I'm deadly afraid to injure my hands.

9. Jason Carota

Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Mountain biking. Mostly downhill/freeride, with some cross-country mixed in.

10. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Right now, I hit objects bare knuckle, and I've busted open a few [knuckles] (accidently), but even my fingerstyle playing has not been affected. Then again, I already have two permanently jammed fingers on my right hand already from an accumulating injury playing basketball in high school. I emphasize though that I pretty much train myself right now by watching matches and emulating what I see from the better boxers, so it'd probably be pretty stupid to 100% trust me. I'd like to start sparring with others at some point though.

11. i used to play football and golf in high school, now i still play golf, pickup football, pickup basketball, golf, curling, and jog occasionally

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I am the captain of my schools varsity tennis team.

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Hockey...

Also soccer once in a few and few more, might start mountain biking with few friends.

Wohooo I inspire a thread!

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Pretty fun game, we went to few la crosse games for stelth, was kind of fun.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I used to play basketball quite a bit, but a bad back kind of forced me into retirement.

16. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Golf.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ran track and played soccer in high school, but ankle and head injuries brought that to a halt at the start of college, so it's just been the gym and light running for me for a few years. Lately I've been helping coach a soccer team of 11 and 12 year olds. Trying to keep up with them will definitely keep you in shape!

18. Two awesome games that are a lot of fun and a REALLY good workout are ultimate frisbee (or just chasing after a frisbee with a friend or two) or racquetball.

19. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm in both Indoor and Outdoor track, so I'm basically staying semi-fit through Winter and Spring.

However, I don't do as much runnign as I should, and spend most of my time working on Pole Vault stuff...

20. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Football with my friends once in a while. (I also played football in highschool, but stopped in college)
    I'm in a ball hockey league that plays once a week.