1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Sportscaster go-to line grinds your gears?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gustobassman, Oct 3, 2013.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Every sportscaster has a go-to line they use all the time. We all know this. I am getting sick of one that's been happening for a few years now. The line i've heard by many "football analysts" is when they are talking about the "elite" quarterbacks of the league.

"When comparing (blah blah blah quarterback) to the Peyton Manning's and the Tom Brady's and the Drew Brees's of the league it's blah blah blah..." :meh:

There is only one Peyton Manning and one Tom Brady. If you had no idea about the NFL you would probably think there were multiple QB's with the same name. I think Trent Dilfer says this more than anyone else.

Who/What's your choice?

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I hate when they have a set of pre listed exclamations they can pick after a major event happens, like a home run or grand slam. You can tell when they do it. The one they seem to use the most is "Abracadabra!"

Example..."The ball is deep, looks like it could be out of here....Home run! Abracadabra!!"

Drives me nuts. Takes anything effectual and interesting away from the caster.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "This........ could........ go .......... all........ thuh...............waaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

4. The misuse of "in"

ESPN pundits use this line constantly: "They've got a great quarterback in Tom Brady" or "A great point guard in Chris Paul"

Oh, there's a great quarterback inside Tom Brady? Is this like inception?

5. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    What should they say instead? Just curious.

6. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    He just wanted it more. It kills me to hear this line.

7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    for the most part, i'd be fine with absolutely nothing coming out of their mouths. when i have a game on, it's typically muted, with music playing. as andy rooney once said, and i loosely quote "the best way to watch a game is to avoid the pregame, postgame and halftime shows". and for that matter any sports shows in general, i'll add to that. more grating to me than shows about rich snotty beotches with nothing better to do than spend their husband's money and gripe to each other about hurting one another's feelings. tv in a nutshell is so far down on my list of ways to entertain myself, it's no wonder i spend waaaay too much time lurking and posting nonsensical rants about stuff that doesn't matter, like how annoying sportscasters are, for example.

8. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I actually like Crispy and Weber for the Preds, but the Titans tv announcers are awful. I put the tv on mute and cue up Mike Kieth on the radio.

9. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    The interviews with players are as bad as the commentary from the box. Why do always ask "How did you feel when you" ...won the World Series, dropped the ball in the end zone, caught that Hail Mary for the win, etc. DUH! How would you feel moron!

I also hate when players are always giving credit to "the Lord" when they play well or their team wins. "I couldn't have done it without the Lord." "The Lord was with us today." I highly doubt "the Lord" gives a rat's a$$ about pro sports. Just once I want to hear one these guys blame a loss or their poor play on "the Lord" and maybe curse Him just a little.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IIRC, in the '70s, there was a game with no sportscasters...it was an experiment (probably by the Network).
    To be honest, it sucked.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    :meh:

12. That's probably my #1 sportcaster pet peeve right there. Oh, and it's usually "your", not "the"; i.e., "your Payton Mannings, your Tom Bradys, your Joe Montanas ..."

Closely behind that is the guys who need to end every other sentence with "in this football game". "There's three minutes left in this football game." Thanks bro. If you had just said "There's three minutes left", I wouldn't have known what you were talking about. I might have thought you were microwaving a frozen dinner.

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Even worse: "National Football League." I bet the guys on ESPN's NFL countdown say this (always in a super-serious way) 50 times minimum every telecast. Really, we don't know what NFL stands for, you have to spell it out every single time? This has to be something contractual.

14. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I have to give special mention to Troy Aikman, who I swear can jam the word "what" into any sentence, no matter how unneeded.

"The Giants aren't getting nearly as much of a pass rush as what they did last week."

"Tom Brady is having a great season, much better than what he had last year."

Some might claim this is a Southern thing, but I grew up in the South and I never heard it very much before Aikman became a broadcaster. I think he's started an annoying new trend.

15. Goatee220

Goatee220 Bassist/Photographer/Goalie Gold Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Spring City, PA
    In Philly we have a drinking game. Every time Phillies' annoying TV analyst Chris Wheeler says "Middle in" we take a drink.

I used to hate when Dan Dierdorf did Monday Night Football - he's speak in all superlatives. "You will never see another play like that."

16. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    "Brilliant"

They're jocks. They ain't Einstein.

True.

17. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    If Troy and Joe Buck are on my TV AGAIN this weekend I'm going to pause the TV and sync up the radio broadcast. They've done all 3 Packer games this season. not sure what we did to deserve that.

18. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good idea. Seriously, Joe Buck is like a bologna and mayo on white.

19. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I think it's Dan Dierdorf, whenever a guy screws up he'll say, "it's asking a lot of a guy to..." < insert whatever the guy didn't do >.

No Dan, it's NOT asking a lot. Even the minimum wage guys in the NFL make many times the salary of the average working stiff. It's not asking too much to expect them to earn that money.

Related topic, not really lines announcers say, but guys who just bug me:

- Joe Buck (WAY too full of himself plus he is EXTREMELY partial to and against certain teams)
    - Brent Musburger (should have retired 20 yrs ago)
    - Cris Collinsworth (goofy looking dude that tries to come off as a lot smarter than he is)
    - Jim Nantz (no matter what sport he calls it sounds like a golf match)
    - Bob Costas (punky little twerp)

Also this may be considered blasphemy but I never liked John Madden at all.

And all the NFL pre-game shows have just gotten unwatchable. Big collections of loudmouth ex-jocks all trying to talk faster and louder than the next guy. Howie Long is about the only guy out of all of them that comes off with any intelligence or class whatsoever. Total waste of time IMO.

20. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Vern Lundquist should have retired 20 years ago, too. The man is blind as a bat. A receiver or running back could get tackled five yards past the first-down marker and he'll say the player is "close to a first down." Plus, he guffaws at Gary Danielson's lame lines, and he looks increasingly like a blushing potato. The two of them also fail to notice (and talk over) penalty announcements more than any other team I've seen.