What SS 5s for an F Bass..??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, May 9, 2004.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have been playing Zon Ultrasonic Nickels on it since I started with it. I have tried a few SS sets and did not like them. GibsonGeek says to try GHS Super Steels. What do you guys think..??
  2. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used GHS SuperSteels for the first two years that I owned my BN5. Playing R&B, funk, and slapping now and then, I really liked the tone of the Super Steels. If you liked the sound of the nickel strings on your F, the SS sets will probably be too bright for you. That's what I've been told.

I put a set of Elixer Nanowebs on my BN5 about 2+ months ago. Straight out of the box, they aren't as bright as new stainless steels. They kind of sounded like a new SS set which had been played for 2-3 gigs already. Nice bright tone, but not too bright. Well, after 2+ months of gigs and practices, they still sound about the same as when I first strung them up. I'm sold on Nanowebs on my BN5! :bassist:
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I've been using Ken Smith Rock Master Medium's with a .125 non-taper B. They sound great on my BN5's. Just a few days ago, I strung the new one with D'Addario EXL-170's, the "SL" (super long) version. So far they sound great. The G string is a little different sounding, but it's not bad once you get used to it. I really like the Smith's though, they've been my staple strings for many years now.
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'd say why stray away from Zon Ultasonics? They're the best strings that I've had in quite some time. Their SS have the longest life that I have played to date. I would normally change strings every two or three weeks, but I have had some of the Zons on my basses for as long as a couple of months and still sounding good. Plus, the feel of them are second to none IMO.

If you're not into the Zons anymore, I'd say try SITs. They have a good feel, good sound, and seem to be more affordable than say DR. Plus, I haven't had a dead string from them either like I have with DR.
  5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I put on a set of DR LoRiders that I got for my Thumb bass. I am likin them so far. I guess I got turned off by the brightness before. We'll see.
  6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm probably the strange one in the group but I really like the Labella SuperSteps that came on my BN5. They are a special gauge that George as spec'ed out from LaBella. Several of the gauges are slightly different that the usual SuperStep offerings. I just haven't been that adventurous on this bass, as far as string changes as I really love the tone that I got right out of the box.

I just restrung this bass and was just going to order a set from George Furlinetto but couldn't find the option on the F Bass site. So I just ordered the regular set close to what normally comes on the bass. I don't think that they sounded quite as good but it's very close. I'm happy but I'll probably email George to find out how to order through him next time.
  7. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Too bad George Furlanetto at F Bass gets such a premium price for his special gauge La Bella Super Steps. I think they are $39 or maybe even $45 USD per 5 string set. Ouch. Wouldn't be so bad if they lasted a long time.

I tried the regular LaBella Super Steps and thought they sounded pretty much the same as the stock "special gauge" string George shipped the bass with. But the Super steps don't seem to last very long. Also, the B string seemed to have a less bright tone than the other strings. Hmmm.

I am now trying Ken Smith Rock Masters which have also been my staple string on other basses. I don't like them as much on the F Bass, but have two gigs this weekend, so I'll reserver judgement and put them to the test. IF I still don';t like them, I'm switching to DR's or Thomastik's to see how they sound.
  8. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i've been using the standard Labella SuperSteps on my F this last year and have been happy with them. the Sam Ash store around the corner from me sells the 5 string sets for $15.00.
  9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    5 string sets of Super steps for $15?? PM me ...I'll order from them! Thanks