Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What stays, what goes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kroth, Dec 1, 2004.

1. kroth

kroth

Apr 6, 2003
    After much consideration, I have traded and sold enough to buy a Godin Acoustic/electric to go with my Marcus Jazz. My old favorite P-bass just wasn't cuttin' it tone wise. It broke my heart to be rid of an old friend like that, but as my wife of ten yrs said, it is about the sound and the Godin has tone by the truckload. With an active DI box and a small G-K combo for monitoring purposes, I can get in and out of gigs in one trip, without herniating anything. Point being, what can y'all bear to part with in the never ending quest for tone?

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    A kidney.

3. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    :D :D :D :smug:

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I can not part with any, 22 and counting. :cool: :ninja: :bag:

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I keep around enough basses to cover the following territory: (i) p sound; (ii) j sound; (iii) 5-string; (iv) fretless. The rest are pretty much dispensible.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I just cleared out a bunch of basses to get myself down to the essentials. I've got a Warwick Corvette (covers my J needs), and a Modulus Flea 4 (its on the way and will cover my MM needs).

I've got a bass that I built with my stepdad that covers all of my P needs, but to be honest I don't really use it unless I have to. However, since we built it together I have a really hard time getting rid of it (sentamental attachments are tricky business).

7. kroth

kroth

Apr 6, 2003
    I feel I've pared things down to the essentials, with an active/passive Jazz and the acoustic/electric. After years of playing , I realized it all comes down to the musician. But hot-diggety, it's nice to have an instrument that inspires, one that can break musical ruts and cliches. One that can deliver to the listener what I hear in mine head.

8. I like how you put that. I'm happy to hear that you are now successfully "pared". I think you've probably made some good choices, too.

I like to stay lean and mean, myself. Let us know how that Godin treats you, matey.