Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strap?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sorin Cristea, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Sorin Cristea

Sorin Cristea

Jan 15, 2002
    Which is the most "appropriate" strap you use?
    Are you a fan of some "speciality"?
    And,if so,can you indicate me some ?
    Thanx!

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I just use a crappy $6 Ernie Ball strap. Its cheap and all I need. I also have a nice padded leather strap that I found for cheap but it doesnt go low enough for my personal tastes. A lot of people here are partial to Comfort Strapps. http://www.r2musical.com/accessories/comfort_strapp.html

3. Sorin Cristea

Sorin Cristea

Jan 15, 2002
    Thanks,old_school,but...I meant something else!
    As long as I'm currently changing between a Warwick Streamer Stage 4-string frettless and a Yamaha TRB JP,the second one is sensible heavier and after 1 hour or so,my crappy 3-inch "seat-belt" is cutting my sholder!
    Any other oppinions?

4. take a look at FRANKLIN STRAPS, my local scam cash carries them, nice glove like leather. it is not padded however.

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Just go to your local shop,and get a thick one so your shoulder wont be hurtin.I like those ones that have the sheep-like fur on them!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hear the EB straps are made really long...which is a good thing if you're a bigger dude, or like playing them low (both are the case with myself)

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Plain black leather, but 4 inches wide.

Padding a narrow strap doesn't really help because the "pressure or weight per square inch" stays the same. A wider strap distributes the weight of the bass better, which will be more comfortable.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Neotech neoprene straps are really comfortable, but kinda expensive. They are wide and stretchy, absorbing the weight of the bass real well. I used one with a Fender Jazz that weighed 12 pounds, and my shoulder didn't hurt at the end of the night! They are also good for eliminating neck dive on instruments that suffer from it (Gibson T-bird, EB, etc..). The back side (the part that rests on your shoulder) is bare rubber, gripping well and keeping the strap from sliding.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I know Ken Smith's taken a beating on the "Basses" board, but I have to recommend his leather straps. They have a 3" lambswool-covered pad that makes heavy basses very comfortable to wear.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i really need a better strap, as well.

i kinda use a levy leather strap, but if i stand up, it takes all of five seconds for me left arm to start to numb. not cool at all.

curse those heavy specors!;)

11. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    There is no better strap than Levy's Leathers straps.

The only problem is that their padded leather straps are too short.

12. cloudnine

cloudnine

Jan 18, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    I would suggest a Levy's strap also. I use one and its GREAT. Nice, smooth leather and comfortable. Mine is long enough and I wear my bass around my crotch area. Get yourself one!