Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What string do you think are the best?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Levi, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    I think GHS are the best!

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    For the price, Ernie Ball Power Slinky!!!

3. All strings are the best, depending on who you are, what kind of music you play and what kind of feel you are looking to get from your bass.

Each player has their own likes and dislikes, so to say, one brand is better then another is just plain BS!

You might consider playing more instead of asking questions that really have nothing at all to do with skill.

Welcome to TB, and maybe try a search, this topic is covered on about 100 pages in the archives!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    SIT Powerwound

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Good answer Treena. I can't get away with that but you can. Where do these people find the time?

Quality also counts for alot. Most companys produce high Quality Strings. Some produce lower cost strings as well.

Then it comes down to your personal taste !

6. I've used Fender s/s, died in a week, status hotwires, nickel, warm even tone lasted ages, then snapped one after the other, now its DR Marcus Miller s/s for me. None of that annoying silk crap on the ends = much neater, cleaner headstock.

All are/were 40-100, easy to slap'n'pop, good full sound too.

7. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I am sorry, but the posts on this forum about strings are pretty much worthless. I have read pages and pages of people talking about strings by by manufacturer and model, not based on material and construction. People will say that they like Blue XDS more than Red 345, and you find out that one is stainless, and the other is nickel, and they are talking about them as if the Blue company makes a better string, but you wonder if they are just liking that material and construction better.

Tim99.

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Treena, I wish to say that it is very nice having you contributing to talkbass as I enjoy reading your post because you have a lot of experience to share. I normally agree with just about everything you say in your posts but I have to make an exception here.

First; You are right about the players choice of what he/she wants to hear and what the bass likes too. I personally like a brighter sound and there are a lot of strings on the market that die right away and won't retain that nice brightness so to me if they don't last a couple of gigs, they're no good. I have also had a problem or two with certain makes of strings unwinding at the bridge while others don't do that for me. So, in my opinion there are better made strings out there.

Second; Your quote about playing more as opposed to being on this board is right, but there is however people that are new or perhaps some experienced players that may wonder about something no matter if somebody thinks it's dumb or not and want to ask about it. And to further add to to your comment about asking questions that don't have anything to do skill; this is a "string forum" which I don't think has anything to do with skill so would you expect a "skill" question here? :rolleyes:

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Speaking of Ken Smith (hi Ken), I've been using Rock Master Medium's on most of my basses for many years now. They're great strings. Nice and even, consistent, reliable, and they last a long time. On the six's I use an .030 and a .125 non-taper. I've never broken an RMM, and that's more than I can say for any other brand (except for the D'Addario EXL's, which I don't have much experience with yet, I just started using them on my Roscoes 'cause they sound pretty good with those basses).

Now if you ask me what strings are the "worst", I could probably rattle off a whole long list... :)

10. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I'll give my .02 Yes....it's what works best for you. I have had basses that sounded best with EB slinkys, because the DR Hi Beams didn't fit the sound I wanted, and visa versa.

For me, it's Ken Smith's Nickel Burners (45-125, B-D tapered) for my 5 string; nice string Ken! :hyper:
    TI flats for the Jack and P basses. I also favor GHS precision flats and pressure wounds. I will however give the Ken Smith "Slick Wounds" a spin one of these days.
    The best way to find what's best, is to "pay & play".

H2

11. I like metal ones.

12. Tim99, true, but not all posts are like that. Be more specific when asking a question and we can be more specific when trying to give a comprehensive answer! You want to know about string types, read the following........

Does that explain string types? Hope it does, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask, I love to help when I can!

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. pistoleroace, thanks for your reply!

I would like to point out that some strings are problematic because of the player using them. That's why I say no string is really better than another.

You might be a person who has very acidic hands and that will cause strings to die quicker then they would for someone who has less acidic hands, see my point? You can't control your bodies physiology, so you need to find a string that suits your personal needs.

Windings, that would be a companies problem and yes, I do agree with you on that point. I would suggest that all companies have had bad runs of strings at one point in time though, so don't judge them by one bad experience.

My comment about skill, is a reference to, the more playing you do, the more skill you develope and with that comes knowledge to find what it is you are searching for.

I am a huge fan of Thomastik-Infeld strings. Flats & Roundwounds.

I use these on about 99% of my basses, but for me to tell you or any other bassist they are the best, that would be complete bull-sh*t. I have no idea what's best for you. I only have the skills and knowledge to decide what's best for me!

I can suggest to you what I have experienced in my career, but that's all. At best, that will just be my opinion, and you know what I think of opinions!

I hope to share more insight with you and the others here at TB, this place has a lot to offer all levels of bassists!

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Leaving aside the question of what's "best", I can only say that I'm pleasantly surprised with a new set of Dean Markley Bass Blasters, light gauge (.040-.060.-080-.100) that I'm using on my four-string fretted instrument. They're proving to have everything I would need in a set of light-gauge nickel roundwounds - sufficient tension to retain a nice, springy feel; highs that show little evidence of dying out (always the first part of the tonal response to go); and of course, the suppleness & expressiveness that only light-gauge strings can provide.

Regarding longevity, the jury's still out - it hasn't been that long. But so far, so good. And hey, they're only $10 a set @ JustStrings.com. How can you go wrong?

MM

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    On my Godin im currently enjoying Elixris (.040 - .095). Theyve been goign 3 motnhs and are rather dirty yet still sound good and snappy. I guess the 'nanoweb' coating works. It gives a slight slippery feel to the strings which helps me play faster.

16. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am digging on some DR Lo Riders for a while now. They work for lots of styles from what I have experienced and they come in Nickel and Stainless Steel too.

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Not to side with anyone, but as a member of this forum for over 4 years, I can say that you are totally, completely, and horribly wrong about that. If you search properly or even just scan the forums back a few weeks, you will find information regarding literally every string ever made. If you don't want people to talk about their opinion of how good one string is versus another string, what do you want? There has been PLENTY of talk about EVERYTHING that has to do with strings, but you have to make the effort of LOOKING for it instead of starting a new thread. People do tend to get impatient when they answer the same question that was asked 2 days ago but has already been pushed off the first page.

19. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I prefer DR Lo-Riders (stainless steel, but that's because I haven't been able to get my hands on an nickel set yet). I use the .045-.125's.

20. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

for a bright string sound that lasts for ever, check out warwick red labels. great strings, but kinda hard to find in the stores (at least in philly). u can find them at elderlymusic.com for around $17 a pop.

- tom