1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What string gauge do I have?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by METAL, Jun 27, 2014.

1. METAL

METAL

Jun 25, 2014
    I recently got my first bass which is an Ibanez GSR250. It's being setup in the shop at the moment with the strings that came with it. How do I know what string gauge I have on it so when I restring next, I know to buy the correct strings?

2. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    There's no need to get the same gauge, unless you really liked it. Usually, I toss the strings that come with a new bass and get what I like (Ernie Ball Super Slinky). It all depends what you like. I suggest you try a bunch of different strings until you find it.

Things to consider:

Nickel or steel strings? (there are other options, but these are the main ones)
    Flat or Round wound? (again, there are variations, but these are the mains)

I'm always trying new strings, but end up with the EB SS. I just purchased the D'Addario Flex Steels, so we'll see.

As far as gauge, I like lighter strings.. they bend and slap easier and are, to me, more fun to play. There probably is a sound difference in thick vs. thin, but I'm not sure. Whatever you find you like (thinner or thicker) it is probably better to stick to close to the same, because you'll likely have that bass set for that size.

3. METAL

METAL

Jun 25, 2014
    I understand what you mean by experiment with brands and see what I like better. I'm asking what gauge my bass came with. Next time I restring, I don't want to buy the wrong gauge and have to get my bass setup again.

4. Ibycan

Ibycan

May 24, 2014
    Alabama
    Correct gauge is subjective buddy. The ibanez should come with 105-45 rounds.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Same way you figure out what size any other object is. Measure them.

6. I play flats. Yes I can tell the difference in roundwound and flatwound. Like the flats best. Can not tell that much difference in light gauge or medium. First time you change strings try the next size up. The techs at the music store can tell you what you have now. Just take your bass in, when you purchase new strings.