1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What string gauge for GCGCF tuning?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by crguti, Apr 3, 2015.

1. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    I'm right now using a 4 string bass tuned to CGCF but I would like to add a lower string tuned to G or A. So, I'm planning to get a 5 string bass with 34'' scale. I like tight string gauges, so currently I'm using 60-80-100-125.
    What string gauge would you recommend me for the low G or A? Any brand?

Thanks in advance.

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    .145 for the low B. Works pretty darn well for a low A.

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    And although I wouldn't go for a low G, I rather would get a low F# string and tune it UP half step, than tuning down a low B to G. Doesn't make sense to me :p

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKtensionChart130105.pdf
    You can use this to match the tension of the low G/A to the C, the chart will roughly approximate any brand of roundwound.
    Rough rule: for the same tension a fourth down multiply gauge by 4/3, so for a low G try roughly .165.
    Circle K Strings / Kalium are apparently excellent but shipping is expensive, Conklin Guitars (USA) sell .165s on their website. Pyramid Strings of Europe sell .150/.160/.170 strings through Schneidermusik.de:
    Saiten und Zubehör für alle Instrumente - SchneiderMusik.de Online Shop
    A .150 A will match your .125 C.

crguti likes this.