What string gauges for A-D-G-C-F tuning ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by =^..^=, May 27, 2001.

1. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I'm getting a 35" scale length 5 string and I fancy running a lower tuning than normal.

Any one tried this ?

And what string gauges did you use ?

On my four strings I tend to run 45 - 100's Dean Markleys or Prisms.

Why do I think JT will be the man with the knowledge ?

Thanks for your time guys.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Maybe some Dean Markley SR2000 Will Lee's will do the job for you. They're a little heavier than the standard SR2000's.
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The fact that it's a 35" scale is interesting. If 34" scale strings will do the job (silk on the low B's frequently hangs over the nut), then a standard gauge 5-string set will be very close to its designed tension tuned ADGCF and you won't have to do anything at all. If anything, it'll be a half step below standard tension. So maybe just a gauge heavier than you'd normally use.

Of course, by detuning a 35" scale instrument, you're blowing one of the advantages of a 35" scale -- increased tension and therefore clarity on the low notes, especially the open B string.

You'll probably wind up experimenting with string gauges anyway. To get the tension back up, just try a heavier gauge set.
  4. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I'd kinda worked out the gauges - normally I use 45,60,80,100 - so I figured that if an increase of .20 was worth five semitones then and extra .08/10 would be worth two semitones (which is the difference I'm looking for)

So therefore 55, 70, 90, 100 and 135 seemed about right to me.

Now all I need to do find a set like that - the DR's don't go that heavy for normal players (unless JT has an old set spare).
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you find a 55-135 set, which really isn't all that hard (my preferred guage is 50-135), it'll probably be more like 55-75-95-110-135 or 55-75-90-105-135. The former would be much better than the latter, but I've seen both.

Really, the heavier you go, the better it will sound. As a good rule of thumb, .005 thicker per half step detuned works pretty well.
  6. brianmc

Jun 7, 2001
    roswell, nm
    maybe i have been playing above the 7th fret too much but when i saw that i thought an octave higher, like a 7. weird. that would be cool though. i think ima try that.