What String Length?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Nov 1, 2002.

1. I'm shopping around on the Internet for Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats for my second hand Washburn. I see items for different string lengths. Excuse my ignorance...I know from past years experiance that the neck is a bit shorter than the Fender Jazz or Precision. From what point to what point do I measure to detetmine what I need as far as string length? Thanks in advance.
  2. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Take your tape measure and measure from the inside of the nut to the center of the 12th fret (the wire, not the fingerboard). Double that measurement to find the scale length of your bass.
  3. Gander has given the method to determine the scale length of the bass. However, due to bridge configurations, your bass may require a shorter or longer string length than another bass of the same scale length. I use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats on my 35" scale bass and the strings were said to be for a 34". Before ordering the TI's, I took a pencil and marked my "B" string at the nut, then removed the string and measured 36.625" from the pencil mark to the point where the ball of the string fastens at the bridge. TI Gives the measurement of their "B" string to be 36.88" from the ball to the silk so I ordered a set for my bass. The strings do work well on my BTB405, although the "B" by only a 1/4" to spare. To be really certain though, you may want to measure and confirm each string's length.