1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What string material produces a more dominant fundamental Nickel or SS?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mastershake, May 31, 2011.

1. Nickel

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Stainless steel

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    i hear nickel accentuates mids and Stainless steel scoops the mids.

2. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    SS, easily. Mids are another story.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR Hellborgs are nothing BUT fundamental, and they are nickel.

4. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Subscribing :ninja:

5. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    i have decided to make this into a poll. please feel free to still comment.

6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    If you are after fundamental, how about flats?

7. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    im looking into getting flats but still will like to know the following question above.

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I don't think there's a definitive answer for your question, because strings vary so much between brands.

Every string has as much fundamental as the next, it just depends on how much coloration or "other stuff" you want on top of that.

9. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    SS put more "everything" in the signal...EQ to taste!

(rub some peanut butter on them if they are tooo bright!)

10. Nickel plated steel! :D

11. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    This is bit OT and I am guessing at this via my personal experience. However I agree that there is SO much differentiation between mfg that it's a tough call.
    If a string is wound (as in round wound) upon another, the longer it stays at tension we see it loose "brightness" (obviously). This can even be observed with a strung instrument at a store display which has been played infrequently but at tension for a lengthy period of time.
    But if the string is taken off the Bass (depending upon construction) it MIGHT return to a "brighter" condition after a period of time if there is not a large % of "crud" between the coils. This might occur if the coiling of the wrapped wire is wrapped with tension upon the core.

I typically don't throw out my strings unless they are really wasted. I have taken off strings that were dulled (but not dirty) to change to flats or whatever, etc. I had on several occasions replaced strings that were truly dull that sat in a loose condition for several months and their brightness was substantial when re-strung . This did not occur once or twice but several times. The caveat was that they had lost their "new" sound" through time & playing/stretching alone (not from BBQ sauce, dirt, etc.) - I have cleaned strings & got mixed results; yet if certain conditions were met, time alone with no tension appeared to alter their sound.
    I have seen this more commonly with SS than nickel. Yet nickel has more diamagnetism than chromium:which is odd considering how pups function. In fact I believe that chrome is paramagnetic.

12. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    ;)

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Some say nickel, but I suspect it's the lack of high end that makes it feel as though the low end is accentuated.

Playing a lighter gauge of flexible strings will increase the fundamental, regardless of material type.

14. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    Remember, less highs is more lows.

Just like boosting the mids on your amp is the same as lowering your lows and highs.

15. i cant disagree more...:scowl:

lowering the highs is not the same as boosting the lows at all

16. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    i know theres lot more that goes into stings construction than just material such as how its made and what not. but in relevance to what im asking i would think the same size metal nickel will alway sound like nickel. if i were to strike a xylophone key made of nickel vs one made of ss i would think each would emphasize certain frequencys on top of the fundamental more than the other which you may refer to as 'color', whether each string has same base fundamental volume i wouldn't really know but i suspect thats not the case due to difference in material such as density and hardness of material. this is my hypothesis of course, i could be wrong. im just looking for some more insight on the subject than what i already know or dont. appreciate the feedback

17. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    i would think there would be a deference in volume though. boosting your mids your overall output would be louder than cutting the highs and lows to get the same effect in which you would then have to raise the master volume to compensate. but either way what are master volumes for anyway:)

18. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    the poll is tied thus far

19. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    how would this affect the the sound?

20. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    agree.

Just one example; I've switched from Labella 760FM's to 760FL's. The FL's have more fundamental (some say the FL's even have more mids, which I would also agree).