Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What string would you play all the time?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by HWK2, Jul 16, 2001.

1. B

10 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. E

71 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. A

113 vote(s)
    42.5%
  4. D

14 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. G

7 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. C

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. H

9 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. I like carrots!

40 vote(s)
    15.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is about the most random thing I could possibly ask on any forum, but I am interested...

Is there a tone or a sound you get out of one particularly tuned string that just does it for you, I guess is the question.. Basiclly if you could play all the notes you needed too on any string, which string would it be?

Can't get more specific.. the question is too strange :)

I gotta say I love the way all the notes on my A string sound... its got just enough ring and just enough bass for me no matter how my bass is set up/amp is set up, or what bass I play, I could live on my A string alone :).... if that helps at all I have no idea....

William

2. Most of my work is on the B and E string.. but i tend to use the other strings as well lately..

3. I do go down to the open B on my 5 every once in a while, but I could get by on most of my band's music with the A as the lowest note. The E would probably be my second choice.

I think I put way to much thought into this for a hypothetical question that deals with a situation that will never happen to me. ;)

4. if i had to live on with just one string i guess i'd have to just die. each string is like a child to me. you gotta feed 'em all. can't kill 'em all.

5. I don't like how high pitched it is if I only had one note, but I like how the D string feels the most.

6. I would have to take the A. It's a comprimise. However, I would probably go insane within the first few days.

7. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Please dont pick I like carrots, I am actually interested in seeing what the majority of your favorite strings are. =)

8. A. but i'd buy one of those hipshot detuner things.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Low F#. :)

10. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    And look, everyone picks I like carrots anyway.

Sheesh.

11. Well this isn't really fair. I'd have to say my E string, but I also really like carrots! But since you asked me not to choose carrots, I voted for my E string.

12. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    I graciously thank you, for I really do want to know what the majority think on this issue.

Of course, by swaying you into voting for the E string, I think I may have made enemies with the TB Carrot Guild. I just hope I dont wake up in the middle of the night, guys dressed like carrots in my room, unusually strong carrot peelings binding my hands tight togethor and carrots shoved into my mouth so I cant scream.

Now I will have nightmares.

13. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    A or D.

14. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    Gotta love the E. A is a very close second though. I just like the "feel" of the E string.

15. The A string buy far. It's sounds and feels great if you slap it, finger it or pick it.
    Gotta love A.

16. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    where's john???

17. LOL Some moderator has quite the sense of humor.. lol I swear "I like carrots" was not on my original poll, but I am sure taht they all think its all useless.. I find it interesting and glad to see that some people have actually given it some thought ! Woot.. I am not completely insane.. only mostly :)

William

18. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Wait a minute... what if I wanted to tune my G to an A? That isn't an option, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go with the carrots.

19. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    I'd have to say an .80 gauge string tuned to A. Has the perfect amount of bass frequencies to push a band, and enough cut to do some high stuff. I've never really been a fan of the E string. Get's too damn muddy sometimes. And don't even get me started on a low F#... :-D

Maybe I should just play tenor bass and get it over with...

20. A...its got enought of that thin tinny sound than the other strings. Also the D string is pretty close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.