What strings are best for heavy metal / Punk

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ToStogyDX, Mar 4, 2001.

1. I heard that Ernie Balls are punkish but are pretty mediocre. What about DRs? I heard good things about those Sunbeams. Anyone that can help out?
  2. I use both DRs and Ernie Balls on either of my basses. The DRs are pretty bright, and stay that while for a while. I just got some new Power Slinky EB strings, which are pretty meaty. 110-55 I think. They stay a bit more stabe in lower tunings than lighter gauge strings. EB strings are also cheaper than DR. My best advice is to try both, maybe even D'Addario. All of these are pretty good strings, and you probably couldnt go wrong with any of them.
  3. nekro

Jan 23, 2001

I have used the same string selection ... Ernie Ball's and D'Addario. I found the Earnie Ball gave a hell of a lot more "twang" I spose you could say... sorta like Fieldy (Korn) and the D'Addario's are a nice all round string, nice and snappy but don't sound like you are playing with guitar strings.

This is all IMO of coarse. Enjoy! :)
  4. DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    i use Ernie Ball's (heh ernie's balls) on my bass and they work great w/ metal ( better than D'A in my opinion). Ernie Balls are a lil bright sounding when first put on...but after a lil working in they are really good for metal.
  5. Ernie Balls, man! I just ordered some a minute ago. The lighter gauges can break tho. Buy heavier ones. I love the sound they get.
  6. So what gauges would you suggest?
  7. i use super Slinky ernie balls, but if you play hard on the low strings i recommend hybrid slinkys - the higher strings on those are still relatively light, for easier popping/soloing.

really though, i don't think your brand of strings will have much of a bearing on the style of music you play. your bass, pickups, amp, and EQ settings are all much more important.
  8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Id say LaBellas or Rotosounds!

LaBellas for a bassier tone, and Rotos for a brighter one! None of this EB crap! ;) :D
  9. yep I'm a Rotosound guy and sometimes Elites. There is a flatwound set

10. bah! Slinkey's rule :cool:

even if my E did just snap like a dry noodle...
  11. Considering you're playing heavy metal and will probably be doing some down-tuning, i suggest the ernie ball power slinky strings. Like someone said before, the E string on that is 110. Also, like someone said before, Ernies are brite and metallic when right out of the package, and you might not be totally satisfied with the sound. Give it some time. I'm glad I did. They're the best sounding and best feeling strings in my opinion.
  12. UGh, okay, so I've narrowed it down to getting EBs on my next set. But should I get Power, Super, or Hybrid ??? Mixed reactions here, and I'm going out to get them in a couple of days. I want the what would work best with both punk, and also sound good if I switched over to metal. Thanks guys