Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what strings are good for slappin'??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jasnewsted, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Jasnewsted

Jasnewsted

Apr 1, 2000
    I've just started to slap and was wonmdering what kind of strings you would recommend for slapping........?

Now I have a set of Warwick 4-string ML Roundwound, what do you think of these.....?

And also could you short explain to me the deal about flatwound and roundwound strins ( and other??) and who uses them and why ?? ( i dunno if you understood my last question there...but anyway........I want to hear your opinion.!!

Thanx

Ps. Love this forum
    I spend hours every day here.
    You guys are great!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Any roundwound type is suitable for slapping (stainless steel or nickel), the rest (which brand and gauge) is personal preference.

Roundwound string: a round wire (stainless steel or nickel-coated steel) wound around a round or hexagonal core wire

Flatwound:
    1. A roundwound string processed so that you get a smooth string, you can't feel the winding anymore

2. A flat wire wound around a core wire

Quarterwound: Roundwound smoothed out a little to get a compromise between roundwound and flats

Flats are generally no good for modern slap sounds, but great for getting that 50s/60s vintage sound (e.g. Jamerson, Beatles), or if you want ot be a Steve Harris clone :D

Stainless steels are the most brilliant strings, some can be tough on frets and fingers

Nickels are usually a bit more mellow (some say dull) sounding. Could cause allergies
    Note: There are no pure nickels. Nickels are steel strings with a nickel coating

Try some name brands (DR, Rotosound, D'Addario, GHS,etc.)to find your personal favorite...
    Suggested gauges: .045-.105 or .040-.100 (I use .035-.095 stainless steels)

3. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    All strings are good for slapping.Every time I hit a wrong note I slap the string and say "Bad String".
    Seriously,JMX gave good advice.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    ditto

and add Elites to the list

PS I use Roto's on my Warwick and like em.