What strings are taper wound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by inazone, Mar 30, 2004.

1. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I went to the local store and I was going to try some different strings but they didnt have any taper wounds. All my basses are set for tapers so Id like to try out some different tapers before I change the set up. Thanks.
  2. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've been using Ken Smith taperwounds on my fenders & Rick for the past several years...the set designation is TCRM (tapercore round medium). They have a good lifespan... :cool:
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I just got a Spector NS2000, and the shop had put on GHS Contact Core Super Steels, which are taperwound. Other taperwounds include:

Dean Markley SR2000
    La Bella Super Steps
    DR Long Necks
    SIT Taper Wound
    Rotosound RS99

And probably some others.
  4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Fodera makes great taperwound strings, and you can custom order them to you liking.
  5. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Thanks for the info :)
  6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    DR's and Ken Smith Strings both have Taper Wound Strings
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I just got a set of fender taper wounds. UH DUH! on me - I wanted half rounds and didn't even realize i didn't know what taper wounds were. Yes, i thought they were smoother than roundwounds yet not quite flatwounds. Oh well - I put them on my fretless acoustic and they sound great.

What's the advantage to these strings now that I know, after years and years of playing, what they are?