Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings are the best...?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Alyosha09, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Alyosha09

Alyosha09

Jun 16, 2000
    What strings hold their sound longest
    What strings sound best
    What strings play the esiest

These are all based on opinion!

Thanks!!
    Alyosha

2. chymel

chymel

Apr 16, 2000
    That's like asking what kind of car do you like. It's whatever fits your needs. I've used a lot of strings in 30 yrs. of playing and I finally settled on the Fodera Diamond series.

3. Deicide666

Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    "Best" What an awful word. It's all in your personal preference dude. Look around on this message board and try some sets out to find what you like.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree that we've already had this before - I think it was called "String Poll" , but I would say D'Addario SlowWounds anyway.

5. Alyosha09

Alyosha09

Jun 16, 2000
    Hey, remember guys I said "These are all based on opinion!"

So dont be mad CHYMEL!!!!

6. Deicide666

Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    No one's mad. Just remember that all these things are based on opinion and personal experience. Neither of which will help you out very much. Just try some out dude.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I would think that it depends on the bass and the individual playing it. For me...it is a try and see (or feel) matter.

8. I used to use DR Lowriders OR highbeams (stainless steel), which last a fairly long time and sound good.

Since I got my Music Man, though, I use the Ernie Ball Slinkys (nickel). They sound best on it and play well. AND they're only $25 for a 5 string set! (DR's were between $35 and $40)

PS I thought your question was fine. There's not really too many other things to discuss in the "Strings" category anyhow. It's not like you asked "Who else uses strings on their bass?" :)

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Well...if old style low end and deep thump, with a certain "upright" kind of vibe, is what you like then Thomastik Jazz flats are great. I have them on both my P and J.Flats also last a long time and are extremely easy on the fingers. But if you're into a more modern tone Flats probably won't do it for you

10. wreckall

wreckall

Aug 21, 2000
    I'v just recently tried fender 8255's super bass they are the the most inovative string i have tried and i pretty much try a different brand every time I change but I will be using these again. they ride across the bridge on just the string core on the e and b string and then they tapper up to full size just after the bridge. yes I did have to re adjust the bridge and notation but man was it worth it. It feels like playing tuned down a whole step while in standard. I know this is just my opinion but **** for what it is worth I would recomend for every one who reads this to give em a try if you like the loose tuned down feel, I bet you will like these.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Im with CHYMEL. I switched to Fodera Diamond series Steels... 50-135..they rule. Best $25 ive ever spent! Then again they ARE like $70 unless the guys at BassNW like you. :)