Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings are these?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Feb 10, 2006.

1. I just took some great strings off my great broken bass and put them on my "plywood" bass. I honestly don't have a clue what kind they are. They are like steel but softer to the touch and easier in to press in the upper register. It picks up increadible vibrato. If i barely move my finger you can tell the differance. They dont seem as loud b/c of the lower tention but it is. I can't realy think of anything else to tell yall. I don't realy know mutch about strings what kind so can any one make a educated guess about what type they could be?

2. If you tell us what colour the windings are at the top and bottom plus any other features of these windings like say, red with a black spiral thread, someone, probably Francious if no-one else, will have a good idea.

BTW - I only mention this you do this all the time - there is no 't' in much (nor in tension)

Best wishes

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Good catch, Mike. By the way, there's no "u" in Francois.

4. LOL the bottom windigs are all red exept the G string its black. The G and D are the only ones with a top winding thread and the G is green and the D is blue.

5. This will have to be one for Francios (without the 'u' - sorry about that mate). BTW, my spelling is notorious and all my output at work is er - writing. Back to topic, I don't think I've seen DB strings with no windings at the top.

6. Sounds Like Thomastik Superflexibles or Supersensitive Red Label, don't know about the E though. Are you positive there's no winding on the top?

7. Yup the A and E have no windings at the top. It does look like there's copper inside the E. These are not new strings so maybe the windings were taken off i have no clue.

Top windins.....Strings......Bottom windinds
    NO..................E..............Yes, Red
    NO..................A..............Yes, Red
    Yes, Blue..........D..............Yes, Red
    Yes, Green........G..............Yes, Black

8. Thanks for the help.

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    ...umm, try that again. I think they are weirdos.

10. HUH?

11. Huh? You mean like a homemade Jobbie? :meh:

12. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Sorry, shouldn't post before coffee.

I don't recall Super Sens looking like that. If you plug those colors in Quinns search you get nothing.

I suspect it's an old mixed bag of stuff. I could be wrong. Wait for Francios to jump in.

13. When i pluged in the colors of the G string it comes out super sens. I get nothing with the D or anything else.

14. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    BTW, my name is Francois, not Francios! lol!
    The G could be a Super-Sensitive Stellar.
    The top winding of the D would be grey if it was made by Super-Sensitive.
    D'Addario's D color code is navy blue.
    Pirastro's is red.
    Corelli's is violet.
    Thomastik doesn't use a peg winding color code. (I think they stamp the ID on the ball, like "O" and "II" for Orchestra second string)
    Could the bottom strings be Lycon's?
    These have been discontinued a long time ago and I don't know the color codes.
    And how about Eurosonics?
    Someone know their color codes?
    These use a steel rope-core, but they are wound with white synthetic polymer.

15. I overlooked something. (sorry) the D and E both have red bottoms and No tops. The A is the one with the Blue TOP and Red Bottom. Sorry. I don't know how i overlooked that.

16. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Ok, so we now have two matches:
    The G could be a Super-Sensitive Stellar.
    The A could be a Super-Sensitive Red Label.
    There are many chances the D and E are Red Labels too!

Both the Red Label and Stellar strings are using a full-core steel core. (not braided)

17. Thanks,i'm going to read up on those. I noticed that in the middle register you don't have room for error b/c the tone goes wak when you miss a note by the tiniest centemeter. And I also noticed the A seems to be the lame duck and less responsive to the bow.

18. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Please note these are not the best strings.
    Super-Sensitive has better offerings, like the Pinnacles, the Sensicores and the Supremes.
    The best orchestral strings are possibly the Pirastro Flexocors and the Jargars.
    The Corellis are good for hybrid needs (arco and pizz).

19. If i get a pure arco string i can still pizz every now and then?