1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What strings are these?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by mje, Apr 6, 2009.

1. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    My Azola Bugbass (purchased used) came with a set of strings having black windings at both ends. The Quinn Violins string identifier says these should be Thomastik Precisions, but rather than the typical Thomastik silver ball end, these strings have brass cylinders. Any guesses?

2. If it's a Bugbass from several years ago, it came with a special light gauge LaBella RC610 set.
    The normal gauge is still available at some stores, but I honestly don't recommend them.
    They're very stiff and metallic sounding.

3. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks- that answers it. I wouldn't replace them with the originals, which I've never cared for. I have a set of slightly used Superflexibles a friend gave me I'm thinking of putting on it.

4. The SF work well on a EUB.
    I like the Corellis too, preferably the nickel ones (380 series), which sound warmer than the tungstens (370 series).
    But that's just my own taste.
    YMMV.

5. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I put the Superflexible solo gauge strings on- they work great. Easy bowing, nice pizz, good tone. I had a set of Corellis- 370s- on my UB a while ago that probably would have been a good match, but I swapped them for something else.

6. I have a set of Corelli 380M on my Carruthers and like them a lot.
    (300A in fact, the 100cm set)