Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Strings are you fretted 55-94 players using?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by funkastorious, Apr 24, 2001.

1. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    What Strings are you fretted 55-94 players using?

Stock Laklands?

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I prefer stainless steel strings with a guage of 130-105-85-65-45.

The Lakland set only comes with a 128. They sound OK, but I prefer at least a 130 B in order to get a tight punchy B with good definition.

Been using DR stainless steels with my preferred guage, and they sound good. Also used Ken Smith medium guage (forget which one), Ernie Ball super slinky, and GHS Super Steels. All sounded good.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've not found anything I like better than the Lakland stainless sets. You can't beat the price at $22 a set, either.

4. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Any clue who is the OEM for the Lakland strings?

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    GHS, I believe. But supposedly, they're not stock GHS strings and are made to Lakland's specs. I've never seen any other GHS's that have the taperwound B, and the extra-long length for stringing through the body in conjunction with the 35" scale. I've admittedly not been too thrilled with the GHS strings I've used in the past on other instruments, but I like these just fine.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been using Lakland Nickel rounds.

7. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    I order my stainless steel strings (medium guage)directly from Lakland. I actually prefer Rotosounds, but I use Lakland's strings because they are long enough to string thru.