Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings did Baghiti Khumalo use on Graceland?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by moley, Nov 29, 2002.

1. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    The bass has such a beautiful sound on this album, does anyone know what kind of strings these are? They sound kinda like rounds to me, but I'm not entirely sure.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    According to the April '96 Bass Player article, he played his Washburn B-40 fretless... The only strings mentioned throughout the article are DR Hi-Beams...

Hope this helps,
    -robert

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I don't beleive the fretless he used on Graceland was a Washburn (he endorsed washburn after graceland.) Judging by the video footage that came with my Graceland cd, he played an 80s fender PJ bass (p-bass lyte? p-bass elite?)

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    From Bass Player, April '96, pp.37...

''Bakithi's first fretless - The Washburn B-40 that he played on Graceland - wasn't purchased with freedom of expression in mind. "It was the cheapest bass in the store, because nobody wanted to play it", he laughs. "It's very old. I think it was the first Washburn fretless, and I bought it because I could afford it.""

Page 38 has a very nice picture of him playing this bass on the Graceland tour... this is also the bass that I remember seeing on the Saturday Night Live spot... A very good article. I'd be happy to scan it for anybody that is interested...

-robert

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I stand corrected. Please pardon my ignorance. I don't know why i thought that was a fender (i guess those cream colored pup covers make me think of some of those 80's fenders.)

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow, he got that sound on a cheap bass! Gives us hope :)

Thanks for the info, guys :)

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'd say that it shows that his tone came from his hands.