1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What strings did Jaco use?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bremen nacht, Jun 10, 2007.

1. bremen nacht

bremen nacht

Oct 28, 2006
    anyone know? I can't even tell whether they were round or flat.

thanks!

2. As far as I know Jaco used Rotosound Swing 66 on his bass.

3. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I don't know abou the strings but the guy ate fried chicken with his bare hands before every gig and then didn't wash off the grease. I am sure this had something to do with the slickness of the string and I am pretty sure it affected his sound.

4. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I tink Rotos were a very big part of his sound, but these days of course there are a lot more rounds on the market than back then, and you could probably get in the ballpark with other rounds available today.

5. bremen nacht

bremen nacht

Oct 28, 2006
    gah, I knew there was a reason I couldn't get that sound; I'm a vegetarian. Tofuburgers might not have the same effect...

Thanks to all who replied.

FretlessFatty and Mingus_Habens like this.
  6. tut tut, your all wrong! about everything!

jaco pastorius used rotosound solo bass.

and jaco used goose fat on a hankercheif as a lubricant.

get yourself some rotosound solo bass and any form of lubricant, and a fretless bass and you'll be well on your way!

7. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
  8. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    you try to come up with your own sound!

A little innovation, please folks.

9. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    What if he doesn't want to?

ectoflanger likes this.
  10. mwhite89

mwhite89

Apr 3, 2005
    Gore, Oklahoma
    Hi,
    I had the priviledge of speaking with the guy who was instrumental in puting together the last Jaco anthology. Jaco did not set out to use chicken greese or any other before a gig. It just happened that he liked to eat fried chicken before playing (as has been stated) and never washed his hands and rarely changed strings. I think that is part of the reason his playing had that soulful "Bother-like" quality! (do not flame me I am a brother so I can say that)
    Maurice

11. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    LOL I think I heard that too, that he just liked fried chicken! But I am pretty sure it affected his osund if he didn't wash his hands.

I probably wouldn't want to play that bass though LOL

12. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Jaco just did a lot of unusual things and had a lot of unusual things that makes his sound so difficult to really replicate. The Rotos, the epoxy fretboard, the acoustic amp, the grease, the old strings, the fuzz... plus everyone's playing is different on top of that.

13. bremen nacht

bremen nacht

Oct 28, 2006
    Naturally.

Just because I asked what strings he used don't mean I want to, or will ever be good enough to, imitate him! We're all standing on the shoulders of giants anyway.

Some good answers and links here, and of course much of it is contradictory.

He must have got asked questions about his gear all the time, and most certainly would make stuff up if he got bored with the same questions again and again.

thanks, all.

bopeuph likes this.
  14. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Well some of it is because of the time, there wasn't 30000 reporters out there with cameras and video cameras and the home movie fans with their cameras out there. Also it depends on where you find him in his career and life, if you asked me what I used 5 years ago compared to what I use now it's completely different.

15. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    It was the rotosound swing bass, not the solo bass. He used roundwounds even on his fretless. Actually, I think this probably contributed significantly to the aggressive growl he got.

16. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Seriously? And all this time we were buying millions of dollars in gear trying to get good tone for nothing! :D

17. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Jaco could have used barbed wire and he would have sounded great. ;)

I bet if he were still alive he would have changed brands of strings a few times. There are many more options these days.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021