Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What strings do I have? I don't know.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Captain_joe6, Oct 6, 2005.

1. I've been trying to figure out what strings I have on my Kay right now, and I have absolutely no idea. The link to the string finder in the stickies didn'g give me anything, and I tried all sorts of combinations. What I've got are strings with yellow silk on both ends, and the ball ends of the E, A, and D strings have a 1cm dark blue, possibly faded black band at the end of the silk farther from the ball. The G is the same, but the band on the yellow silk is is red. They're steel-core strings as far as I know, but the G is the only all steel-wrapped one of the set. The E and A look like they're copper, and the D looks like its both steel and copper twisted together. They're very smooth, and the tension is what I would consider a 'medium-light' but I have no other point of reference, having never played anything but these strings. I know its time to change them because they're completely dead, I just want to know what they are before I take the plunge and slap on a Spirocore Red Mitchell set. Thanks for any help!

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds like Velvet Compas to me. However, Velvets don't have a ball at the end of the string. It is a loop.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You are aware this set is tuned in fifths I suppose? (CGDA)

4. I just checked, and yes, they have a loop end. Velvet Compass, huh? Well. Hmmm. I don't like them. True, they are deader than dead, but there's just something about the feel and sound that doesn't do it for me. Oh well. Now, the Spiros that I've used on friend's basses, those I liked. And yes, I know the Red Mitchells are tuned in fifths. I figure that I'm so out of practice from where I used to be that making the switch will be a little easier. We shall see...

5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    String Gurus, do we know if there are new 180s, old 180s, 360s or what?

I might offer a trade, I've got stuff sitting around, if you're throwing them out anyway.

Is there a known issue with dutuning velvets and retuning as with perlon core strings?

Troy

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  7. I would offer a trade, but no respectable bassist should have these strings. The only reason I do is because I've only just begun to recover from so many forms of debt (bass, car, other bass, bow that I laid across the arms of a chair and accidentally sat on, etc.). They are the deadest strings I have ever heard. The G is OK (but dying), the others are just a gross intonated thud, and not the good gut kind of intonated thud. No, these produce a sort of 'oh, your bass sounds like its dying' sort of thud. They need to be destroyed.